• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slotting pin lugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have also heard that a jeweler’s saw comes in handy for slotting lugs..😉
SMO, you saw my other post about slotting lugs today and what a miserable experience I thought it was! I used my jeweler’s saw and averaged 5 blade breaks per lug! I was cussing up a storm trying to fit the blades through the hole and hook it back up. It wasn’t until I was putting up my tools that I realized I’d been using the lightest blades I had. If I’d been paying attention (or could see better) I could have used a heavier blade and probably had an easier time. I just don’t use that saw much. Live and learn.

SMO, My lugs are made of soft steel. My pins are made of drill rod. They are harder, I haven't even had one to bend yet. Before and behind the lug is a long stretch of tough maple which keeps the pin from breaking, though I'm sure eventually the pins will split out the maple.
I'm sure drilling the holes oversize would not allow the barrel to move freely for any distance.
To slot I first drill a series of holes in the lug, they I use a metal cutting end mill in one of my reciprocating hand tools (dremel) to open up the slot. I finish with my swiss files.
Lastly I coat the end grain at the end (breech) of my barrel channel with accra gel. This gives the barrel something solid to push against.
When metal gets hot it expands. That is why we need to slot those holes.

Last edited:
I use a cheap 1/6" diamond bit in a Dremel, slotting a lug is about a 3 second job.

I think I bought this whole set for $6 or $7; I use the one on the far left for slotting lugs.

diamond bits.JPG

It seems to me that the wood in the stock is weak and thin, the important thing is the depth of the slot to insure the the two (barrel and stock are snug, so a slot that allows only horizontal shifts due to a hot barrel, etc.

Back