• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief Special version 2.0

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I found some time to work with my 20 gauge today and tried my favored load with a couple of twists.

As I have fired several patterns upon standard sheets of paper (8 1/2 x 11") in the past, I used them again for comparisons sake. All shooting took place at 20 yards.

The "twists" that I employed was using the full cushion wads that I saturated with olive oil (read: sloppy wet and completely soaked). I didn't bother trying to rid them of any excess oil. They worked great! As well or better that the beeswax/lard wads that I have used in the past.

Another change that I wanted to try was placing a thin over shot card, between the shot and the cushion wad. I've been thinking that that may help to keep any shot from becoming one with the wad on their trip downrange.

This too proved to help the pattern's densities.

I found the following to give the best turkey patterns that the gun has ever shot:

65 grains of Goex 2f
Hard card
110 grain equivalent of #6 chilled shot
Thin overshot card
Sloppy wet cushion wad

The sheets of paper averaged 106 pellet strikes with this loading. Outlines of a gobblers head and neck were riddled with shot with no holes in the patterns whatsoever.

I wanted to share this with you all, especially those looking for a turkey this Spring.

I'm sold, Skychief

PS, I just weighed the shotload from my measure when set at the above mentioned 110 grains. It threw exactly 1 1/2 ounces at that setting.

I'll be patterning a 20ga this weekend with 1 1/2 oz of #5s and will be trying some of your ideas. Have you tested penetration with that load? I wonder what kind of velocity you're getting.

Skychief, :confused:

65 grains of Goex 2f
Hard card
110 grain equivalent of #6 chilled shot
Thin overshot card
Sloppy wet cushion wad

I assume this is out of order? The cushion is going between the hard card and the shot? So it is powder, hard card, wad, over shot card, shot and then over shot card?? Getting confused here.

Will be doing some loads this weekend with mine and want to try your recommendation but want to get it right.

Thanks,

Dave

Not out of order.
Skychief bumped into this load chain a while ago and my tests revealed also an improved pattern with the wet fibre wad last.
Try it, what could go wrong?

B.

Skychief said:
Sloppy wet cushion wad

Mine aren't sloppy wet, but I agree with you and Brit on olive oil with full-thickness cushion wads. Excellent patterns in 3 different gauges and I've never seen a cushion wad at the pattern board.

BTW- I just soak my cushion wads for about an hour, pour off the excess oil, and let them sit and soak overnight. Not really dry to the touch next day, but you kinda have to hunt for the oil on your fingers from handling.

Dandy for field use with lots of shooting, as we often get with snowshoe hare and especially ptarmigan. No limit (or closed season) on snowshoes up here, and ptarmigan limit is 20 per day in a season from August to April.

Arcturus, I have no chronograph. Penetration tests have proven successful. The media was a gobbler's head and neck a year ago. :haha:

It's got plenty of oomph. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

Britsmoothy said:
Same here chief. Olive oil is good.

B.

I agree Sir. I think, though, about any oil to make the cushion wad heavier should work. I've used straight Ballistol before with the same results as with olive oil.

Best regards, Skychief

PS, always like reading your posts and viewing the great photos in the hunting section. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:

Britsmoothy is right 58 caliber. You read the post right. Good luck should you give it a try.

I think that we may be finding that this load works best through cylinder bores. I don't know if your gun is choked or not.

Best of luck, Skychief

Sounds like fun BrownBear. :thumbsup:

I have found where the cushion wad strikes the target many times before and written about it here on the forum.

It just so happens that none struck any of the sheets of paper yesterday. The cardboard backing already had enough holes from roundballs out of the same gun, that I didn't pay attention for wad strikes on it.

Best regards, Skychief

Being that I am as bright as a burnt out light bulb. :grin: Why does it work better with the Sloppy wet cushion wad last. :idunno:

Larry

larry wv said:
Being that I am as bright as a burnt out light bulb. :grin: Why does it work better with the Sloppy wet cushion wad last. :idunno:

Larry

I've learned Larry to duck that question forever more! :haha:

Much bantering has taken place here on other threads about the science behind the load's abilities.

If you'll do a search for "quirky load", you'll have plenty of reading to occupy yourself.

Best regards, Skychief

I've found that for me it's the well lubed barrel so the shot stays as round as it can be both ways, in and out.
Hermit

It is quite obvious really.
Where upon a heevy wet conventional fibre wad mixed with the high volume of gasses is known for upsetting a shot pattern by being rammed into the shot column as it emerges, the same wad leading up the front quickly leaves the shot column with less influence.
The thin card driving the shot on emerging is scattered on emerging, not rammed into the shot column.

B.

Hermit said:
I've found that for me it's the well lubed barrel so the shot stays as round as it can be both ways, in and out.
Hermit
That notion is incorrect.
A wet wad has lubricated the bore no matter the sequence it is loaded in.
Secondly, any misshaping of shot is function of pressure and or acceleration or gravitational force, it is not an issue of lubrication. Otherwise cartridge guns would not work!

The sole advantage to a good lubricant in a black powder muzzleloader is keeping the fouling soft to aid subsequent loading.

Back