• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skychief Special version 2.0

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't argue about the velocity one way or the other Stumpkiller.

I will argue that the heavier the cushion wad on too of the shot, the denser my patterns are. This suspicion has led me to where I am now, and it's what led me to get the wads as heavy as I can.

I wish I had a chronograph. I can tell you that loading as I do, the gun really cracks and bucks pretty good. My guess, and that's all it is, is that velocity suffers little if any.

Whatever the velocity, it's more than enough to cleanly kill turkeys. That's my only concern.

Best regards, Skychief

Well I tried the wads today in my jug choked 20 gauge and I can tell you that at least in my gun this is a non-starter. I tried it out in 5 grain increments of powder up to 80 grains. Sloppy wet olive oil 1/2 inch wad.

My normal load shoots a whole lot better. 80 grains ffg, 1/8 inch wonderwad, 120 grains mixed 4's and 6's and an overshot card.

Surprised me but there was no comparison at all. :shocked2:

Dave

Gotta love a good mystery! Sometimes things make sense, but just when you think you have things figgered out based on your own gun, someone else shoots theirs and gets a different answer. That's what keeps us coming back. And scratching our heads. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Skychief I tried this out Sat with a 54 and a 16 gauge smooth bore and it did close up the pattern on both but 22 yards was as far as i could get but thats no problem thou.Funny thing was the first shot out of a clean bore was the worst of all ,dont know why .O well Curt

Muzzleloaders remind me a lot of dogs.

Put in the time to get to know it and train it right, and even the most lowly mutt can be a superstar. The finest thoroughbred is just about worthless without the same effort. And some dogs just never work out.

Great dogs and muzzleloaders reflect more about the efforts of their owners than their pedigree. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the info.
I'm gonna try something like this in the .50 bore smooth flinter and see she rocks northwest Indiana.

Tip....use bigger pattern paper..to get a full 30 inch circle....The paper tells all..
count the pellets in your load..then count the pellets in the 30 inch circle....Done!

I use unwanted(as in FREE) 34" school paper roll ends and cut 34" squares.
8.5 X 11" does not tell all.

22fowl said:
Tip....use bigger pattern paper..to get a full 30 inch circle....The paper tells all..
count the pellets in your load..then count the pellets in the 30 inch circle....Done!

I use unwanted(as in FREE) 34" school paper roll ends and cut 34" squares.
8.5 X 11" does not tell all.

I dunno. When I guy's shooting turkey heads and necks as SkyChief specifies, he really doesn't care about 30" circles. Or 20" circles for that matter. Heck. Even 8x10 is too big, but a guy's gotta draw the line somewhere. :hatsoff:

I use a brown paper feed sack split open and hung up for a target so i can see where most of the pellets are goin .The last thing I want is a Tom full of bird shot .I wish Ind would let us use our flint squirrel rifles ,but my main turkey gun has a Colerain turkey choke barrel on it and it works just fine ,its almost too easy .Curt

Well said BrownBear. I agree as I've shot enough larger sheets of paper to this point. I know where the guns center of pattern will hit by now.

So, I see a regular sheet of paper big enough, where turkey preparation is the goal.

Best regards, Skychief.

I tried the skychief special loading method in 3 of my smoothbores. Pattern improvement in 2 out of 3 was significant.....[and I'm still working on the third]. Thanks Skychief!

Back