• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead ingots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatcreek

40 Cal
Reaction score
Came across these ingots some years ago. There lead to me but what do I know. Is there a way to tell what it is and what its good for. Probably about 20# a piece and seems soft, I can drive a awl in it fairly easy. May want to start casting or trade it off. I see people always looking for lead. 20230815_133904.jpg

Think they got the thud factor down, just afraid they'll break the concrete. I could drill it and melt the shavings. But I don't know what I'm looking for, never cast any lead.
Thanks Phil

Last edited:
Strike one with a hammer, you should be able to easily create a flat spot or dent soft lead with a couple blows. From the shape, and not knowing where you got them, they look like old school window weights -which could be lead but were often cast iron. You would not be able to dent one if cast iron...

Edit: sorry, missed the part in the first post about driving an awl into it...so not cast iron. Quality of lead needs melting to know, as 64springer says

Last edited:
Strike one with a hammer, you should be able to easily create a flat spot or dent soft lead with a couple blows. From the shape, and not knowing where you got them, they look like old school window weights -which could be lead but were often cast iron. You would not be able to dent one if cast iron...
There defiantly ingots, some form of lead, you can see that they were poured when you roll them over. Got them in a building I bought that was and aluminum foundry. But they are not alum. I'll do the hammer thing when I get back up to the shop. From what you say I think there soft lead.
Thanks for the help.
Phil

When I'm unsure of lead that I get. Easiest way I find out my lead is soft or hard. I melt a little bit down cast me up some round ball or suppositorys and weight them.
If they're quite a bit under the mold design weight I know they're hard.

If they're really close to the mold design weight, I've got good soft lead.

This deal of dropping for a ring,ding,this. Hitting with a hammer,writing on it with a number two pencil and scratching it with a thumbnail is witch craft.

When I'm unsure of lead that I get. Easiest way I find out my lead is soft or hard. I melt a little bit down cast me up some round ball or suppositorys and weight them.
If they're quite a bit under the mold design weight I know they're hard.

If they're really close to the mold design weight, I've got good soft lead.

This deal of dropping for a ring,ding,this. Hitting with a hammer,writing on it with a number two pencil and scratching it with a thumbnail is witch craft.
I'll assume you're joking.

Came across these ingots some years ago. There lead to me but what do I know. Is there a way to tell what it is and what its good for. Probably about 20# a piece and seems soft, I can drive a awl in it fairly easy. May want to start casting or trade it off. I see people always looking for lead.View attachment 245533
They're window weights, go inside old fashioned window frames to counter-weight the window going up and down. (Pre-vinyl!)

I don't think they're window sash weights. The one's I've seen were cast iron with a hole to attach the cord that held the window open. That is until the cord broke and the window was held open with a stick. He has some soft lead ingots from the sound of it. Of course, they could be a kind of sash weight I haven't seen.

I don't think they're window sash weights. The one's I've seen were cast iron with a hole to attach the cord that held the window open. That is until the cord broke and the window was held open with a stick. He has some soft lead ingots from the sound of it. Of course, they could be a kind of sash weight I haven't seen.
Not all were iron, some were lead.

There defiantly ingots, some form of lead, you can see that they were poured when you roll them over. Got them in a building I bought that was and aluminum foundry. But they are not alum. I'll do the hammer thing when I get back up to the shop. From what you say I think there soft lead.
Thanks for the help.
Phil
You could find somebody with a lead hardness tester. Plenty of folks in PA that cast lead that should have one. Ask around locally and/or let people here know where in PA you live.

Although I have come across near pure lead window weights myself, I’ve been told by ‘experts’ they were all made of cast iron.

Came across these ingots some years ago. There lead to me but what do I know. Is there a way to tell what it is and what its good for. Probably about 20# a piece and seems soft, I can drive an awl in it fairly easy. May want to start casting or trade it off. I see people always looking for lead.View attachment 245533
We used to melt lead on my mothers back room natural gas stove and pour in tea spoons for spring fishing sinkers. Being flat they’d lay on the bottom and not get washed downstream in the spring current. Easy pessy, even kids can do it.

Latest posts

Back