• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read enough reports on this forum concerning guns from Sitting Fox that I am now of the opinion that guns from them are pretty much a manure shoot. It is my understanding that they do not build their guns in house, but rather farm them out to other builders to build for you. Some of the builders are pretty good and some......well, they need a bit more experience. I think the kits may be okay and contain good parts so if you are able and willing to build your own gun from a kit, they may possibly be an okay source for a kit.

I think it is very important that if you go forward with Sitting Fox, before laying down any money at all, get confirmation on exactly who will build your gun and their experience level. Then check that builder's reputation out. Do NOT assume you will get a quality builder. I would also not pay for any more than 1/2 until it was delivered and you've had a chance to inspect and approve of the build. Pull the barrel when inspecting to see if your gun has had a quality job of inletting the barrel!

I won't go into details as I've told the story here before, but let's just say that I was not aware my build was farmed out and when I got it it was something less than what a fair first-time builder might produce.

Yep, Sitting Fox doesn't build guns, they sub-contract the builds out. I don't understand why anybody would buy a gun that way when they can do a little research and contact a builder directly and deal with them personally.

The Contemporary Longrifle Association has a list of their member gun builders and their contact information: http://longrifle.com/artisans/

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't anyone join the CLA for a mere $50.00 a year? Buying a finished gun sight unseen is a manure shoot no matter who's name is on the barrel.

Yea, but you don't get listed as an artisan just by joining the CLA.

As far as buying sight unseen being a manure shoot, depends on who you are asking to build the gun.....that's why I said do research!!!

Enjoy, J.D.

Really. I hate to disagree with you on this one but I do.

How exactly does one get on this artisan list? Secret ballot by the other artistes? Longest owner/renter of a sheep shed? So if there is a gun builder list, and there is, someone has to add the names to it.

I can't agree that quality solely depends on a list of people of an organization that anyone can buy into the membership for a slight fee. Some folks idea of a quality gun is maximum stripes per inch or how many ounces of gold or silver inlay there are inlet in the wood. Also, just buying off a list can't be a guarantee of getting a really nice gun. I expect price and bragging rights/name dropping are the biggest part of the equation. How many times have you heard or said this?
Nice gun. Who built it?
You are either immediately impressed or not by the answer. :/ A fella can be totally satisfied with his non-CLA artiste built, reasonably priced gun until someone tells him it's nice but a CLA artiste gun would be so much nicer.

I stand firm on my position of buying sight unseen. It is a manure shoot, list or not.

I briefly considered their kits but then I went ahead and just started building guns from scratch myself. Most of their descriptions are ********. Thats not a great sign. To me, if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.

Keb, I did not post that list so that somebody could pick blindly from it. It is just one list of builders.

Again, for the third time, I'll say it, the buyer must do his research.

Find a builder who will build what he wants in the price range that he is comfortable paying and look at the body of his work, ask for references, ask around, etc. That is the opposite of buying blindly.

Enjoy, J.D.

amen bro!!! that has been my experience with Sitting Fox.I had a problem with a lock and he told me to contact Randy at TVM Muzzleloading directly. When I saw the kit prices I felt pretty bad. Just paid more for a middleman. It was my first build ,so I didn't know any better..Do your research and listen to what TMF brothers tell you ..

Latest posts

Back