• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simple stock moldings on a SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve got a 36 cal Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle heading my way soon, and I’ve got a question. I know these rifles were traditionally very plain and unadorned. Most of the examples I’ve seen have only a simple two groove cheekpiece moulding, and some don’t even have that.

My question is whether a simple straight line buttstock moulding, running from the buttplate to the trigger area, would be too much. I had also considered doing a straight line ramrod moulding, but the stock seems so thin and delicate in the barrel channel that I think I’ve decided not to do that.

What I have in mind is similar to what I did on my Woodsrunner in the attached photo. Would a simple stock moulding like this be out of place on a mountain rifle? I know, the standard response is that it’s my rifle, and I can embellish it as I choose to, but my question is, would a simple stock moulding like this be out of place historically on a SMR?

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpeg
    IMG_2002.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 6
My personal opinion is that a couple of straight lines add very little to the stock.

As if the carver had pushed up daisies before the good stuff got carved.

Those simple lines look like some kind of afterthought, or no thought at all and they will take away from the beauty of a nice clean stock.

Let the grain, alone, accent your stock.

Again, .02

My personal opinion is that a couple of straight lines add very little to the stock.

Those simple lines look like some kind of afterthought, or no thought at all and they will take away from the beauty of a nice clean stock.

Again, .02
They make the gun look leaner.

Again, .02
I think simple, well executed incise lines add a slenderizing effect to the piece. They aren't meant to be fancy or dressy, but accentuate the architecture of the gun. The toe is slightly curved, so I like a line that is higher up on the toe at the butt, and gets closer as it moves up the toe and into the wrist. The line ends up with a curve that is slightly more than the toe itself; and helps accentuate that toe line.

I also like lines that begin somewhere definite, and end somewhere definite. I like to curve the toe line in right at the rear of the trigger guard bow. It makes sense to me, and gives some nice symmetry to the area. For the forearm, I begin the line at the forearm transition, and end it in a little moulding at the nose.

For the forearm, I use a jig that runs in the ramrod groove to start the line, then I finish it with triangle files and checkering files. For the toe I freehand the lines... as many times as it takes to get them the way I want. I start the line with a V chisel and mallet. I always use a mallet, because it gives me more control. I start that line quite shallow... because it will always have some unevenness to it. Then, as you deepen the line with your files, you can get that unevenness out, and end up with a well executed line. Never exactly perfect; but that's part of the beauty of hand work done well.

Attachments

• 20191213_143541 2.jpg
    20191213_143541 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191213_143559.jpg
    20191213_143559.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20191213_143845.jpg
    20191213_143845.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231001_160602.jpg
    20231001_160602.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
to keep your line straight,i sart with a five tiny tri angled file and start a scracth,,ist off though good to do a pencil line so you may follow it,,and then very carefully and slow you keep the file moving,keeping to straight making a scrath back and forth slowly moving ahead,,,when i am a coupleinches i go to a five small round file with a sharp end and open and deepen this a bit or to what you want,,going back and forth with both files ,,old gunmaker showed me this and there are more ways but this is mine and they look good.mickey

To keep lines straight on LR or modern checkering I do couple of things. If the line parallels an edge I use a marking gauge.

If the line is not parallel to something I use DYMO labeling tape. Remember the clicky-clack label guns that used the 1/2" hard plastic strip? I stick it to the wood and use it as a guide. I cut up against it with a safe side checkering tool which I make. The Dymo tape can be gently curved to make a very even curve. For instance to follow the toe line of a stock.

I have also used electrical tape the same way but it is not as good.

IF a line gets a little wiggly I use a long single point checkering tool to even it out.

One thing I never do is to try and cut a line that matters with a V-tool. IT always looks terrible when I try.

Latest posts

Back