• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silent Safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A short piece of 9/32" vacuum tube hose from the autoparts store works very well as a cheap, quiet and reliable safety on my percussion guns (TC and Investarms/Lyman).

Buy a foot of hose for a dollar or so and cut off pieces a little longer than your capped nipple height. Before you cut too many, slip one down over the nipple (should take some force) and experiment with no cap on the nipple. Drop the hammer with the trigger; you should hear a dull thump. If you hear a click, cut the next piece a little longer and try again. A length of about 3/8" works for most of my ML's.

With one of these securely in place, you can hunt with the hammer at either half-cock or fully drawn. The hammer can be quietly lowered onto the hose with a capped nipple and be very secure.

If the 9/32" hose seems a little loose on your nipples, try some with a 1/4" ID. It'll be snugger.

would that not pull the cap off when you remove the hose from the nipple? If not then yes that sounds like a good idea.............watch yer top knot...............

Meant to post this in response to Kapow's Accidental Discharge thread. Must've hit the wrong button.

No, Buford, the hose won't pull the cap off. The inside diameter is too large.

I take a piece of soft leather, that has been oiled lightly, about the size of a quarter tie it to the trigger guard and place it over the cap. The hammer will form it to the cap and nipple. Cock the hammer and the leather falls off or can be tipped by a finger. IMHO there is a possibility that the hose will pull off a cap.
Mark

Latest posts

Back