• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights on a Smooth Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got thru making an Alex Henry 12 ga shotgun with the bead on the front and nothing for a back sight. I plan on making a second AlexH. gun only this will be a 20 Ga. that will be for both wing shooting a lot of slug shooting also. Would like to see what you are using for sights on such a gun.

My fusil has a slight v notch into the tang, it helps centre the front sight. It's a bad photo but you can kind of see it.
Screenshot_20221119-095702_Chrome.jpg

I just use the tang screw on both my smoothbores , Wilson Chiefs trade gun and Charleville as , not so much a rear sight , but a post to help align the front sight and prevent canting . With my Charleville I stack the barrel bands one under the other with the front sight and tang screw in line . I can't put a rear sight on either as it is not authentic for either gun .

My fowler is a jug choked turkey gun, I put a rear sight on it to make sure I had it dead on a turkey head in the heat of the battle. I made the sight out of a piece of angle iron.

View attachment 176410
dang Eric! wanna make me one? that is dandy. I have been stumbling about trying to come up with something like that for my new fowler!

My red painted Carolina Type G by Clay Smith sports a period rear:

8ECA6F1D-5365-4891-8620-95C268F6C28B.jpeg

These early trade guns were commonly used with round ball for warfare and hunting, so a rear sight makes sense. This rear sight features a large U-notch that still allows a good field of view when using shot.

Last edited:
20210623_094111.jpg20210623_094159.jpg20210623_094344.jpg20210623_094402.jpg20210623_094331.jpg
Stock rifle sight on a TVM Early Virginia smoothrifle followed by a small brass sight I took from some forgotten old gun and put on my Centermark Fusil des Chase.

The brass sight is glued on as it was supposed to be temporary..... it is staying where it is. Maybe someday I'll have it removed and properly dovetailed in place.

My red painted Carolina Type G by Clay Smith sports a period rear:

View attachment 176553

These early trade guns were commonly used with round ball for warfare and hunting, so a rear sight makes sense. This rear sight features a large U-notch that still allows a good field of view when using shot.
This is the type of sight that is in the book by Kevin Gladysz (sp). There is a drawing of a fusil from the 1700's with that same type of sight. I bought one from Clay Smith for a friend. When I tried to order another he was out. I have a chunk of brass that I will have to make one out of.

This is the type of sight that is in the book by Kevin Gladysz (sp). There is a drawing of a fusil from the 1700's with that same type of sight. I bought one from Clay Smith for a friend. When I tried to order another he was out. I have a chunk of brass that I will have to make one out of.

I recently bought this gun from Clay, and he had it up for sale on his website without the rear sight. I messaged him to see about having one added per his older guns, and he informed me he no longer used them on account he didn’t have anyone to cast them for him. As luck would have it, though, he had one last sight and he offered to install it for me for a modest fee should I purchase the gun.

The rest is history. ;)

Robby, Like the concave area at the tang. Thanks everyone for ideas for the gun sights.. Think I may do what Robby has done with a bead front sight.

Back