• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights for an Alex Henry Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have this shotgun with an extra dedicated breech and a 45 caliber fast twist barrel Rice Barrel and have not purchased the sights. With the completed checkering and engraving, which I don't want to disturb, I want a rear barrel sight in either folding leaves or ladder sight. Ever seen a ladder sight on an original Alex Henry muzzleloader? Any suggestions on other sights? Tang sights are out.

Attachments

• Davey's 20 ga-62 caliber sb.jpeg
    Davey's 20 ga-62 caliber sb.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
After more research than I ever want to do again. Here is the rear sight I decided from NECG. Looked at a lot of others, but no where the quality. Already had the front sight from Montana Vintage Arms.

Attachments

• target sight rear.jpeg
    target sight rear.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • alex front size.jpeg
    alex front size.jpeg
    852.2 KB · Views: 0
Yes. Alex Henry installed folding and ladder sights. His early ML bore rifles utilized folding and smallbore S/T rifles had flip up ladder (to 1400y).
Also an Enfield style on a Volunteer.
I’ll try to take better photos tomorrow.

IMG_8355.jpeg

IMG_8353.jpeg

IMG_8354.png

I was going to put a ladder sight on, but actually I found more flip up leaf sights for that time period with English Alex Henry type of guns. Right or wrong a couple of hundred yards is what this gun will be. I looked at the ladders also.

That is a really cool sight.

I can always change with more leaves. If the gun shoots really good might change sights. NECG sights are really quality stuff, but they are certainly not cheap.

More photos from AH.
S/T rifle
2- Volunteer
Perc Double rifle - also seen on single ML Sporting rifles.
I suspect all but the S/T were supplied by the trade for any maker to buy.
IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8369.jpeg

IMG_8370.jpeg

IMG_8376.jpeg

Last edited:
Recalled seeing an early sight photo on DD book on AH.
SN362 is a 3-groove 25bore made in 1860.
IMG_8356.jpeg

Back