• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Alex Henry and Clays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This last summer I was looking for a gun project thinking that maybe I would like to make a target rifle with best barrel. I called Krieger Barrel Company and found that they were a year behind. I did not want to wait and began thinking about a shotgun. I could not understand why Fleener was so high on the Alex and Rigby. I started to study up on those two English guns and started to see why his excitement. I have a regular over/under shotgun that is a dream to shoot. I took the dimensions from that gun only to find out that most Alex's have similar dimensions so I made a 12 ga. We had the whole family down for our after-Christmas Christmas Party. After the party the guys wanted to shoot clays so we headed for the hills. The only thing I did was load and load I did. They had a total blast and we shot a lot of clays thru that ML. Fleener I now know why you like the English guns. When you put it to your shoulder the sight plain is there - - - Smooth. I'm sold, my kids are sold, and my grandkids are sold. The parts should be here in a few days for a 20ga Alex Henry with a extra match breech should I decided to purchase an extra barrel of a fast-twist target rifle. It is not cheap with a grand worth of parts.

Attachments

• 2nd alex.jpg
    2nd alex.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
you should post a picture of your finished gun. Is that a Rod England kit?

Fleener

Just a little thing, however the key should be coming in from the left side, not the right. American guns for some reason seem to come in from the right.

Fleener

Interesting. I haven't a wedge stopper screw anyway and I really don't plan on putting one one. I'll change it the next time I clean it. good to know. Thanks

I am surprised that you don't capture the key. I am assuming with your talents I am most likely telling you what you already know, however, if the key is slotted, it is easy to put a pin under the escutcheon to capture it.

Fleener

I did know, but I think I'd find key in the way when I polish the gun after shooting or hit the open key on something and crack the stock. If I lost the key I certainly would have second thoughts though. I love accuracy in reproduction of earlier period firearms, but not enough to duplicate hidden things. One thing I did notice is there are quite a few of the 1800 English gunmakers that used the same components, but the guns were all a little different. I guess one shouldn't use "Rigby" when the gun resembles one of the other makers. Even Rigby didn't make the rifles the same. I guess it is OK. I notice some of the best professional gun makers do it.:) I love the input. You can learn a lot on this forum, but it is like any other internet site you have to sort the fact from fiction. Thanks for all of your information Fleener on several topics.

Never had one get caught on anything or even close to breaking anything.......Now I most likely will.....

Fleener

The older I get the dumber things I do. If It was pinned and open i would probably catch it on something and the stock would hit the floor. This next gun I am starting parts haven't been sent yet, so you got me thinking. I ordered a couple of extra keys.

I am starting to hate to go to the range with friends for fear that I will start visiting and loose track of my loading sequence. :)

Back