• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sighting in - Pietta 1851

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Like most of the cap n ball revolvers, my 1851 Navy Pietta .44 shoots quite high. It also shoots pretty much to the left.

My thought was to somehow change the front sight to taller or maybe even dovetail it for a conventional style sight.

Any thoughts on this? Anybody done it?

Would like to make this revolver a more practical firearm as a secondary carry when hunting big game to be used on small game, etc.

I haven't tried this, but you could file your hammer notch a little on the right side to correct the left shooting problem. I did fix a missing front sight once....drilled and tapped the hole (bottoming tap) and threaded a piece of brazing rod to screw into it. You can file off the rod until you get it where you want it. Then round it off or file a wedge shape. If your front sight is threaded in, just make a new sight. Or...solder one in the sight hole.

It's a low blade and seems to be staked into a groove running with the barrel. I had an H&R .22 with a sight like this once and was able to drive it out and replace it but am not for sure this is the same. It's a nice pistol in perfect shape and am hoping to keep it that way. :)

Once it's tall enough, I can probably bend it a bit sideways to handle the windage. Filing the hammer notch might be necessary though.

Thanks for the ideas.

My Pietta Navy is a squirrel killer! I filed the hammer notch deep with a hack saw blade to keep it very thin so it would do what it was intended to do (contain cap debris!) Then I opened it up a tad in the direction I wanted the ball to strike.

I could have dovetailed a new front site, but this was the cheapest and quickest expedient and now I'm happy with it.

It requires a different sight picture now. I rest the top of the front sight into the base of the notch, as opposed to even with the top of the notch. When I can just see the tip of the bead, I fire. It's a fine sight, but not the fastest! Still, from 10 yards and one hand, I can keep all the balls inside a 1" circle.

Dan

marmotslayer said:
It's a low blade and seems to be staked into a groove running with the barrel. I had an H&R .22 with a sight like this once and was able to drive it out and replace it but am not for sure this is the same. It's a nice pistol in perfect shape and am hoping to keep it that way. :)

Once it's tall enough, I can probably bend it a bit sideways to handle the windage. Filing the hammer notch might be necessary though.

Thanks for the ideas.

The Pietta blades I have seen are set in a groove. You can remove the blade by spraying it with a refrigerant, like the cans of compressed air for cleaning computers, it's R134. Freeze it and you should be able to pull it out with a pair of vise grips or the like, careful not the goober the brass. Some times tapping the front of the blade well drive it out also. They are not soldered or anything like that, just a staked fit.

Cutting a dove tail so you have some windage adjustment may be the best approach. That along with cutting a larger notch in the hammer can make a major improvement in the Colt sights.

I'm surprised you have that kind of front sight, most Navies have a round pin. The staked blades can be removed by just gripping the taller rear end tightly in a pair of side-cutters and levering it upward. If you're careful you can probably just raise the back end enough to zero without entirely removing it. You can then file the hammer notch for a better sight picture and to correct windage. Be very sure to widen it on the correct side. We say "file" but I often have to use the cutoff wheel of a Dremel tool to get past the case hardened skin of the hammer, then finish up with a file. Easy does it, a barely noticeable change in the sights can have a big effect on point of impact.

These are all great suggestions and much appreciated. I'm going to get it to the work bench when we get another warm up and take a very close look at the options.

Thanks again

CoyoteJoe said:
I'm surprised you have that kind of front sight, most Navies have a round pin. The staked blades can be removed by just gripping the taller rear end tightly in a pair of side-cutters and levering it upward. If you're careful you can probably just raise the back end enough to zero without entirely removing it. You can then file the hammer notch for a better sight picture and to correct windage. Be very sure to widen it on the correct side. We say "file" but I often have to use the cutoff wheel of a Dremel tool to get past the case hardened skin of the hammer, then finish up with a file. Easy does it, a barely noticeable change in the sights can have a big effect on point of impact.

+1
Most 51 style Colts from Pietta do have the post sight as opposed to the originals blade. My Dance Bros by Pietta has the blade. The Dance is a Confederate 51 clone.

Dance01.jpg

Here's what mine looks like;

Pietta_sight.jpg

This is a plain steel framed Pietta from Cabelas purchased around year 2000

I would probably opt for the dovetail option. I've seen pics of originals that had this done and plan on having to do it myself when I buy a Colt style revolver.

In order to lower the impact on mine, I had to put in a higher front sight blade.

I pulled the old front sight out with a pair of pliers and slid in a piece of a brass key that I cut. This made a high blade like on a peacemaker.

It brought the impact down on target so I could tune it to center with a file. If I was to do it over I might use a coin instead.

I'm still considering the dovetail option but don't want to do it myself. I'm ok on octagon barrels and dovetails but have not tried it on a round barrel. Afraid I'll end up with a sight sticking out sorta sideways. :haha:

That 'spailins it all right, it's an 1860 Army. That's why I was surprised it had a blade front sight, the octagon barreled 1851 normally has a round pin front sight.

CoyoteJoe said:
That 'spailins it all right, it's an 1860 Army. That's why I was surprised it had a blade front sight, the octagon barreled 1851 normally has a round pin front sight.

Yep...

Back