• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight Placement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.C.BINGAMAN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Having a new rifle built 62 cal,44in swamped barrel the barrel is being done by Mr. Hoyt 1-66 round bottom rifling. It will be modeled after a Andreas Albricht rifle.Question is the rifle will be in the white and the builder will contact me about setting the sights before final finishing, as I will visit him for this process, and am sure he will have suggestions.As a 58 yr.old I have to wear glasses to read but can see distance very well. I have been doing some research and think 12 in.from the breech should be about right for the rear sight. Most of the other rifles I own fall into this range and do well with the un-aided eye(no glasses)just looking for info. AN APPALACHIAN HUNTER

When you go, he will have you hold the rifle in shooting position and will then sit the rear sight on the top of the barrel. As you look through the sight, he will move it forward and back until it suits your eyes best. He will mark that position and put the rear sight at that spot. This is a standard part of having a custom made rifle made for you by someone who knows what they are doing providing you can go to his shop for a "fitting". Otherwise, he would have to take your word as to where to place the sight. But, since you will be going to his shop for a fitting, he will take care of you.

Thank You.kinda what I figured.This will be the first build that is close enough to actually accomplish this, kinda excited.

Some builders just find the balance point on the rifle, and dovetail the rear sight there. That way, the sight will cut into your palm every time you carry the rifle. :grin:

They do that on purpose so that the hand protects the rear sight. :hmm: Even the original guns were also mostly built with the sight over the rear pipe, right where you want the rifle to balance.

My personal preference is to not put it at the balance point if I can keep from it. I don't like having it gouge my baby butt tender hands. :haha:

For all hunting and competition that will allow it I would go with aperture rear sights back on the tang and a good thick blade up front.
They are far more suited to top accuracy and aging eyes than any open sight in existence.
But for most competitions one will require open sights fore and aft.
I think maybe they should be put on a rail so they can be moved farther forward each year as ones corneas thicken with age.

The older I get the worse my eyes are, so I try to place the sight as far forward as possible for convenient carry. I don't want the sight digging in to my hand either. That means right behind my hand as I am carrying it unloaded. For me, that was 10" forward of the breech on my most recent build (44" 50 cal B-weight). You really won't know your balance point until you have almost the whole rifle built, so rear putting in the sight is about the very last thing I do before finishing.

Latest posts

Back