• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Bull Elk, 2023.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wrap was originally made because on the first season I used the rifle. My wedge fell out and I had to build an a makeshift one in camp that wasn't very tight. I had some leather so I also made that to prevent it from falling out. Since then I have a better wedge but still left the wrap on.

I also made a leather muzzle cover that is usually on it until I anticipate firing, or am closing in on a stalk. It is off the barrel in the picture because I had just fired.

Every season I have another part fall off. First year was the wedge, second year was a lock screw, third year was the hammer screw, And this year I bent my ramrod when trying to reload (my fault and good thing I didn't need another shot). I still got a bull elk each year even with the parts malfunctions.....I am beginning to think that the elks' spirit demands a piece of my rifle in exchange.

The wrap was originally made because on the first season I used the rifle. My wedge fell out and I had to build an a makeshift one in camp that wasn't very tight. I had some leather so I also made that to prevent it from falling out. Since then I have a better wedge but still left the wrap on.

I also made a leather muzzle cover that is usually on it until I anticipate firing, or am closing in on a stalk. It is off the barrel in the picture because I had just fired.

Every season I have another part fall off. First year was the wedge, second year was a lock screw, third year was the hammer screw, And this year I bent my ramrod when trying to reload (my fault and good thing I didn't need another shot). I still got a bull elk each year even with the parts malfunctions.....I am beginning to think that the elks' spirit demands a piece of my rifle in exchange.
Well it adds character. Makes it your rifle. Great hunt and congrats.

Your comment, “i am beginning to think that the elks’ spirit demands a piece of my rifle in exchange.” is definitely the way of the Wapiti! They are magical animals for sure and like coyote, can be devilish ‘tricksters’ as well! Congratulations on four great hunts.

Nice elk. You may want to consider cutting a slot in your wedge and using a small pin to help keep them from getting lost.

The ‘capture’ pin is placed under or behind the slotted inlay, and goes through the slot in the wedge key. You can just make out the pin in the wedge slot in this photograph.
1631637164798.jpeg

Back