• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Side by side 00 buckshot success

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
80 grains 2f Goex, two nitro cards, one 1/2" lubed fiber wad, twelve 00 buck, 1/2" lubed fiber wad.
Both barrels (improved & modified) shot right decent "vitals shots" groups at 30 and 40 yards. I had 80% of the shot to hit within a 30 inch circle and 5 or 6 of them to be vital hits. I believe I can improve it, but dog season starts Saturday and I do not want to shoot anymore to scare what deer I have around, away.
And I shot 100 grains 2f Goex, two nitro cards, 1/2" lubed fiber wad, 15-00 buckshot, 1/2" lubed wad out of my jug choked-extra-full single barrel gun with 6 vital hits at 50 yards.
Also, I shot a patched .715 ball with 90 grains out of the improved cylinder with excellent results up to 50 yards.
I absolutely love the versatility of the improved barrel.
Thanks to all of your data guys!

Sounds like you are having fun. I have a CVA double I put together years ago but have to shot much. I am curious about the top fiber wad, why not just a over shot card?
The wads have been soaked in olive oil for 12 hours which doubled their weight to 46 grains. I did so because using them last, or on top, helped my birdshot pattern significantly. The sky Chief method, basically.

80 grains 2f Goex, two nitro cards, one 1/2" lubed fiber wad, twelve 00 buck, 1/2" lubed fiber wad.
Both barrels (improved & modified) shot right decent "vitals shots" groups at 30 and 40 yards. I had 80% of the shot to hit within a 30 inch circle and 5 or 6 of them to be vital hits. I believe I can improve it, but dog season starts Saturday and I do not want to shoot anymore to scare what deer I have around, away.
And I shot 100 grains 2f Goex, two nitro cards, 1/2" lubed fiber wad, 15-00 buckshot, 1/2" lubed wad out of my jug choked-extra-full single barrel gun with 6 vital hits at 50 yards.
Also, I shot a patched .715 ball with 90 grains out of the improved cylinder with excellent results up to 50 yards.
I absolutely love the versatility of the improved barrel.
Thanks to all of your data guys!
I use my range during the day, the deer feed on the range at night.
MFDC0039.JPG

I shoot at my place a lot. Doesn't seem to bother the deer much. I didn't draw a buck license this year but got three doe permits. So you can guess what shows up in my trail cameras and comes in every afternoon? Bucks,,.... one is a 5x5 Whitetail and in his prime, the others run from spikes to 4x4's and got some growing to do. I live in an area where there are a few Mule deer and these were in my alfalfa field a last month and a few times after that. They stay pretty well out of buckshot range.

Thanks for posting what kind of load you are shooting as I have been shooting 4B in my flintlock using the Skychief load sequence and am happy with my results too. I want to get a coyote with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 86
gunfire don't worry dear much. I hunt with vintage modern rifles as well as flintlocks. our season is not split to hunt with a particular weapon, anything goes. a couple of years ago a friend and I went and sat in the morning, I am a ground hunter. the first deer I shot was a 8 point buck at 50yds, 10 min. latter I shot a doe at 100yds, 10 min. after that I shot a 6 point at 40yds! the other day I killed a nick buck, continued to be still, after 30min. then another 6 point came out and I killed him. before anyone thinks I am a game hog, let me explain. I am in SC, we have a lot of deer here, our season is from Aug. 15th--jan1 up until a couple of years ago we had no limit on bucks total and could kill 5 per day. and we could kill a lot of does also. they are not as easy to hunt as it sounds like, they are hunted hard and have a lot of pressure on them and they are very wild. I give a lot of deer to people that don't hunt or older people, and I eat a good bit too. my point is if you kill more than one deer a day and want to keep still after the first shot, you may get another,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

gunfire don't worry dear much. I hunt with vintage modern rifles as well as flintlocks. our season is not split to hunt with a particular weapon, anything goes. a couple of years ago a friend and I went and sat in the morning, I am a ground hunter. the first deer I shot was a 8 point buck at 50yds, 10 min. latter I shot a doe at 100yds, 10 min. after that I shot a 6 point at 40yds! the other day I killed a nick buck, continued to be still, after 30min. then another 6 point came out and I killed him. before anyone thinks I am a game hog, let me explain. I am in SC, we have a lot of deer here, our season is from Aug. 15th--jan1 up until a couple of years ago we had no limit on bucks total and could kill 5 per day. and we could kill a lot of does also. they are not as easy to hunt as it sounmeds like, they are hunted hard and have a lot of pressure on them and they are very wild. I give a lot of deer to people that don't hunt or older people, and I eat a good bit too. my point is if you kill more than one deer a day and want to keep still after the first shot, you may get another,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I do the same but havent had that kind of luck. What part of SC you from. I live in Red Bank and hunt in Chapin and Barnwell.
TCM

Latest posts

Back