• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shrinking hawk handle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love to throw knife and hawk. A big problem was the heads would get loose. Soooo I went to the recycle place and bought the perfect size pipe I.D. to fit over my handle and really set the head down on the handle. There is always some handle sticking out from the head. A friend told me about something that his grandfather passed on to him and that is to put your hawk or tool nicely fitted into anti-freeze and let it sit for 30 to 60 days. I have not had one come loose. On my hawks, I cut off the extra and pin the head with 3/16's steel pin and peen to suit. My hawk handles are on to stay. Since doing this I let a bozo show off throw one of my matched hawks and he tried to stick it at 60 feet.I blame my own self cuz I watched him throw it. He hit on the handle and split it. I was hot. I filed off the peens drove out the pin and replaced the handle. Back into the anti-freeze. They simply do not come loose. Hope this helps you. A loose handle is aggravating. Tom

Do your linseed soak for awhile,, while the new hawk handles you order are being shipped.
Next time don't cut the handle off flush with the top of the hawk.

I use mineral oil myself. I used to simply soak them in water, my ax handles too, but then found that the oil would swell the wood and not evap over time.

LD

I see that you have never played handles

nessmuk ,
You have assumed correct, why would I want someone to chew up my good handle. Don't get me wrong , if anyone likes handles, go for it. It is not for me to chew up something that is all sighted in :rotf:
Flinltlocklar

why would I want someone to chew up my good handle

Because there are some :youcrazy: who consider it fun to destroy other folks hawk handles. I don't like it and get :cursing: when my handles are ruined by those thoughtless types (that's saying it diplomatically).

I always try to haft tomahawks and axes in the dead of winter, when the wood has the least moisture in it. That way it can't shrink on me.

Missed my opportunity this year, thanks in part to the sudden temper shift recently.

I don't like it and get :cursing: when my handles are ruined by those thoughtless types

Speaking of "thoughtless", I was thinking..., IF the first hawk lands on the target and sticks with the blade 90° to the target, thus Γǀ..., can't the next hawk thrown hit the metal back of the first 'hawk head with the edge of the thrown hawk? Does that sound good for the cutting edge of the thrown 'hawk???

LD

Rifleman1776 said:
Because there are some :youcrazy: who consider it fun to destroy other folks hawk handles. I don't like it and get :cursing: when my handles are ruined by those thoughtless types (that's saying it diplomatically).

Easy solution - stop throwing your hawk.
While historically some may have been thrown, an axe is a hand tool that is primarily used to cut wood/brush. If used as a weapon, it is far more useful in my hand... :wink:

By 1800 or so the ”˜Kentucky’ ax was becoming more popular, the almost modren style hatchet. Not an easy tool to throw. That said many were the hours I enjoyed handles. After all spending a handle on a game isn’t much more expensive then the powder and ball you send down range at an event.
I think it is an hc game. I don’t think I have played it this century. My belt ax is just a tool any more.

Sorry, I don't like your idea. That is like telling someone to not deposit money in the bank to avoid bank robbers. :shake:
Handle hunters are juvenile, rude people.
Hawk throwing is a fun activity and good competition at many ml/ronny events.

Rifleman1776 said:
Sorry, I don't like your idea. That is like telling someone to not deposit money in the bank to avoid bank robbers. :shake:
Not really - it is more like telling a smoker verging on COPD to stop smoking or a grossly obese person to moderate their intake and start an exercise regimen. You know what leads to damaged handles and only you can fix the problem....

I’ve been in more then one game where you threw, took your score got your hawk and next in line threw. There is plenty of room in this sport for any games people want to play.

tenngun said:
I’ve been in more then one game where you threw, took your score got your hawk and next in line threw. There is plenty of room in this sport for any games people want to play.
Exactly, sanctioned event Hawk toss competition seldom includes a game of "handles". But you had better be able to do better than stick it in the center of the block.
In our area "handles" is as described, a juvenile game usually played by juveniles, aka; youth.
But it can be great fun.
I really can't believe so many are getting twisted over a $3-4 hawk handle when most of us that rendezvous have a $1,000 or more of gear hauled to the event at more expense.
If folks don't want to play handles then don't.

The entire idea behind the invention of the tapper`d eye in a hawk head 500yrs ago was so that a field expedient suitable branch could be whittled down to fit with out any further assistance,, if you ain't got $3-4,, turn off the TV and pull out a sharp knife. If you don't have a tree near, find a 2x2

juvenile???? We might have grey in our beards here but I think if you scratch any of us you will find a ten year old playing cowboys and Indians here.

I think what we have hear is a " Failure to Communicate " First we have hawk throwing, where you take turns throwing your hawk for a score. Then we have the game of handles where you try to destroy your buddy's hawk handle, and all in the game knows that. Most of the time now it is play by old juvenile's with no self control.

“Did you ever notice how much mature wisdom resembles being too tired” Robert Heinline
I think in Letters from the Earth Mark Twain had a few choice things to say about age and wisdom. :haha:

Colorado Clyde said:
All my hawks have tapered handles, when I run out of taper it is time for a new handle....Axes and things that don't have tapered heads I store head down on concrete or gravel...in the shed. this way the head can maintain the proper moisture content. If it is hung on the wall the heads will become loose in dry weather.
I now have a shed again after living in apartments for the last four years, I read Clydes ost here and put all my hawks out there about aweek ago on the slab cause all my handles were loose from the warm dry air theyve been in for so long.I went out to get one for this past weekends tradegun match and the leather cover was soaked,It had sucked up all kinds of moisture,had to polish the surfce rust off it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back