• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re Finishing a Coated Trigger Guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMobius

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all!
I was recently given a Traditions Deer Hunter percussion rifle kit. The trigger guard and ram rod guide are both coated in a matte black material; not sure if its powder coat or paint or what.
I was hoping to remove this coating and give it a more traditional finish; either a brass finish, blued, or just polished metal.
Im wondering if anyone knows what this finish might be and what the best way to remove it is, and if the base metal of those parts is steel, aluminum or some alloy.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
1704750524740.png
1704750542754.png

It is what it is.
Enjoy it. Shoot it. Learn it. Cherish it. Clean it. Love it.
Again it is what it is.

The only way to make that rifle look like something from the 19th Century is help from Cinderella’s fairy godmother.

Then it only lasts till midnight and at the stroke of 12 it’s back to being a Traditions Deer hunter and you’ll be missing a boot.

My advice
Enjoy as is.

Pull the trigger guard and scrape the underside to expose what it made of. Plastic maybe.
Good call, Its definitely a silvery metal of some sort. Soft enough to drill into with a steel bit so if its steel its not hardened. I supposed i could try applying a bit of gun blue to see if it reacts. Was curious if the black finish could be removed with a solvent or if i just have to file/sand it off.

Is it magnetic? If a magnet sticks, its some form of steel/iron. My guess is its some form of Pot Metal, cheap and quick to cast. Add a thick coat of paint and your one step above plastic for durability.

If you want a different finish, paint is the only option if its pot metal. Lots of options especially if you consider using model paint from the hobby shop/craft store.

Is it magnetic? If a magnet sticks, its some form of steel/iron. My guess is its some form of Pot Metal, cheap and quick to cast. Add a thick coat of paint and your one step above plastic for durability.

If you want a different finish, paint is the only option if its pot metal. Lots of options especially if you consider using model paint from the hobby shop/craft store.
Just tested a few things on it. Its not magnetic, but Birchwood Casey PermaBlue does seem to react with the metal... Pretty confusing as PermaBlue says it wont react with non ferrous metals or stainless steel. I was thinking of doing a brass heat transfer with some brass wire brushes, which Ive done on other metals which arent steel or iron. I guess we'll see if it works?

Also the paint wasnt very robust; it already had a few areas where it had been worn off around the edges. Comes off pretty easily with 220 sandpaper.

I have one its pretty clearly aluminum or aluminum alloy.

I think the best thing you can do is repaint it. If you strip and polish the aluminum furniture its just draws attention to it being aluminum and doesnt look at all authentic.
Trying to get any sort of plating on it isnt going to last.
Paying a professional to coat it doesnt really make sense considering the guns value.
And even if you do get it refinished it will still have the blocky cast aluminum shape.

Of all the projects you could do to make the gun look better this seems like the least effective.
Nothing is going to make it a fine gun. But changing the butt plate, adding a fore end, refinishing the barrel or altering the stock could at least look better and are projects you can do yourself.

I have one its pretty clearly aluminum or aluminum alloy.

I think the best thing you can do is repaint it. If you strip and polish the aluminum furniture its just draws attention to it being aluminum and doesnt look at all authentic.
Trying to get any sort of plating on it isnt going to last.
Paying a professional to coat it doesnt really make sense considering the guns value.
And even if you do get it refinished it will still have the blocky cast aluminum shape.

Of all the projects you could do to make the gun look better this seems like the least effective.
Nothing is going to make it a fine gun. But changing the butt plate, adding a fore end, refinishing the barrel or altering the stock could at least look better and are projects you can do yourself.
Thank you, needed to hear this!

A psycho suggestion........Visit Hobby Lobby , they have brass colored paint. Paint all the parts , tg. , bplate , r/r thimbles , etc . anything you think should be brass , then as you use the gun , watch all the "experts" , guess what you did to make a "brass" hardware rifle. Could be entertaining.

Not hard to guess that a plastic shotgun style butt plate is painted. :rolleyes:

I'd smooth that tg up and paint it flat black.

This gun falls into the "it is what it is" category and maybe just used and enjoyed as such. And, as such these great shooters. I had one that I used to kill grouse, coyotes and deer. I gave it to a grandson and he has won matches with it.

Latest posts

Back