• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shoulder Stock for Colt 1860?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinker2: Thanks for the picture.
It does bring up the question: Will that stock work with the "4 screw" pistols which were designed for use with a shoulder stock?
My reason for asking is that "4 screw" pistols fourth screw is located 7/16 inch below and 5/16 forward of the hammer screw (see Brian the Brit's photo above).

Will that stock work with the "4 screw" pistols which were designed for use with a shoulder stock?

Zonie

Not that I know of. The "4 screw" are to low to work with the navy 51 type stock and the Army grip is to long. A Army stock should work.

I think, don't know for sure.
I have a Navy 1851 and it stock. I use it on my .44 Remington too.

Tinker2

I was browsing through Rosa, J. G. (2000: 151) "The Age of the Gunfighter," Salamander Books last night and came across this illustration of a genuine shoulder stock fitted to an engraved presentation 1851 Navy. It shows quite clearly how the fore end of the stock engages under the recoil shield cutouts and around the two special screw heads in the frame. (The machining to the 1860 Army is identical.)

OriginalStock.jpg

Mystery solved.

No one has yet commented on why these stocks proved to be unpopular with the US Army. Any ideas?

Blizzard
tinker did the hammer screw come with the stock or you have to get it extra? it fits your '58 Rem?

The hammer screw comes with the stock.
I have three pistols that I use with the same stock
so I made some more screws, I made mine so all the
pistols fit the same. Not a big deal.

My Pietta .44 Remington fits just fine.
Should have a notch cut in the butt for best
shooting.

Tinker2

They are nearly useless. They turn a lovely revolver into an awkward carbine. You use a regular right hand hold and then grip the right hand/pistol grip in a sort of modern two hand hold. The "carbine breech", as the butt stock was called had to be carried separately when the revolver was holstered. Soldiers disliked them and civilians didn't buy them. Later attempts to resurrect them for the Single Action Army also failed.

Two problems made them unpopular with the troops: cap and powder particles blowing back into the face upon percussion of the cap (just look at how close your eyes are to the cap), and lateral blowout from the cylinder that can singe/burn clothing and skin if you're not holding the pistol correctly. These guns were meant to be discharged using a two-handed hold on the grip, which was not what troops were used to when firing what is essentially a carbine, which meant re-learning how to aim and shoot the gun. Also, there was the hassle of keeping track of yet another piece of equipment during deployment.

I like mine, I have three pistols that fit my
stock.
Brass36Stock.jpg

I put the stock in/on my pack when I back pack
into some places.
Not quite a rifle but better than just a pistol.
Good for small game out to what you can do.
In my state it can be used for deer.

Tinker2

first time i used mine on a 1860 colt, i thought the gun blew up. way too much boom that close to my face. you guys that like them, God bless ya and don't ever forget your shooting glasses. :youcrazy:

walruskid1

Good advice.

You just haven’t lived till all six of them go
off at the same time.

Tinker2

Tinkem - I have found an unused stock for my '58 on another forum, can you give me an idea of the worth of one of those?

Well, this is what Dixie sells new ones for.

[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/...=7271&osCsid=eecb34e91cdfd7f613f7799f4b11e628[/url]

I hope that helped.

Tinker2

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya gotta love the salespeople. :rotf:

"The Wyatt Earp Shoulder Stock"!!

I'm betting that Turner Kirkland is rolling in his grave. :rotf:

I'm also betting that Wyatt Earp never used one of these shoulder stocks in his life.
zonie :)

Back