• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Army Detachable Stock fitting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason60chev

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello Black PowderFriends,

I have a detachable shoulder stock that is supposed to be for an 1860Army revolver.

The problem is that it will not fit onto ANY of the 4 Pietta 1860 Army revolvers that I have.

It seems like the inside of the brass on the stock does not match the contour of the back strap of
the revolvers.

Do these stocks require custom fitting to get it to attach to thegun?

Revolvers are Pietta.......stock is supposed to be Pietta made. Marked only on the inside, as. "Made in Italy".

Your thoughts and comments about this issue are welcome.

Attachments

• Shoulder stock.jpg
    Shoulder stock.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 13
I had the exact problem when I tried to attach a similar Italian-made stock on my second-generation Colt 1860. It gouged the wooden grips slightly. I removed brass from the stock until it fit over the grips, then I re-finished the grips. I did not have to remove much metal from the stock to get it to fit right. I'll post pictures if I can find them.

Look at how short the hook is compared to the bottom of the grip frame. You don't have enough thread at the top to let the hook down to hook under the grip. I'm thinking the stock is for a Navy grip frame, they're shorter. Is it stamped as to what it fits(besides Pietta)?

I think it will fit with a little work. That is exactly how my shoulder stock fit my 1860 when I first got it. Now it fits my 1851, 1860, and 1861.

I wrapped abrasive paper around a wooden dowel, and removed material from the underside of the brass mount. Go slowly, a little bit taken off makes a huge difference.
20230811_160132.jpg
20230811_160226.jpg
20230811_160358.jpg

Given that most of the Dragoons Uberti sells have the cuts and screws for shoulder stocks, does anyone know where you can actually get a Dragoon stock?! Only ever seen them in some commerative cased sets, which no one wants to break up (understandably).

Given that most of the Dragoons Uberti sells have the cuts and screws for shoulder stocks, does anyone know where you can actually get a Dragoon stock?! Only ever seen them in some commerative cased sets, which no one wants to break up (understandably).
No one has made Dragoon stocks for years.

Last edited:
I sent the pistol and stock to Gary Barnes to work with it. I will be away from
home for many months and I want it done.

Thnks.

Back