• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shoulder Stock for Colt 1860?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian the Brit

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Last week I ordered a second hand shoulder stock for my newly acquired 1860 Army as I thought this looked like a load of fun:

1860-army-with-stock-2lg.jpg

Unfortunately the one supplied did not fit. As you can see it is too wide to fit the frame and the attaching hook is too short.

IMG_2070_1.jpg

IMG_2073_2.jpg

Does anyone know if these stocks are marked as to which models they fit as I'd like to order another one if I could be guaranteed that it would attach securely?

I was interested to read that the detachable stock did not prove popular with the US Army but I was unable to discover why. Can anyone enlighten me?

I fitted the new hand/spring assembly and took the revolver to the range for the first time on Saturday firing five cylinders without a misfire.

My first impression is very favourable. Compared with my old Ruger 'Old Army', which coincidentally the new owner was shooting alongside me, the Colt seems much lighter and better balanced and seems to come to the aim more naturally. It's a real delight to use and I'm looking forward to my next outing when I can concentrate on finding out exactly how high it is shooting at 25 metres.

Incidentally, I was using tinfoil cartridges made from ordinary kitchen foil with 30 grains BP and a .457 ball plus Emmert's lube over the ball. They loaded easily and look to be potentially very accurate.

There is a fella here looking for a shoulder stock for his Dragoon that might be interested in taking that one off yer hands if it will fit his Dragoon.

Brian - that one may be for the '51 Navy or a Rem. '58. if you can find for sure which it fits, if for the Rem. '58 I might be interested. are you in England? if so of course shipping would be too expensive tho.
it looks more like a stock for the '58 to me. if you know some other BP revolver shooter maybe you can get a chance to try for fit.
thanks Blizzard of 93

It can't be for a 58 either. Looking at my 58 and 60 Colt the 58 frame is narrower than the 60.

dryball said:
Looks like it might be for a Colt Dragoon.

That's what I was thinking from the width but don't they have longer grip frames than the army?

The frame on my Uberti 1860 Army is .885 wide while the frame on my Italian CVA 3rd model Dragoon is 1.080 wide.

Using the flat of the trigger plate as a point of reference, the bottom of the Dragoons grip seems to be the same as the Army however, the top of the grip frame where the hammer enters the frame seems to be about 3/16 inch lower on the Dragoon. This changes the effective length of the Dragoon grip so that it is about 3/16 shorter than the Army.

I might mention that my Dragoon is not cut for a shoulder stock and anyone wanting to mount one on their Dragoons needs to look at the butt of the grip to see if there is a machined notch there for the stocks clamp to latch on to.

I forgot to look at my 1851 Navy's grip.
The frame on this Pietta pistol is .900 wide at the rear. The top of the grip strap is at the same height as the 1860 Army however the length of the butt of the grip looks like it is at least 3/8 -7/16 shorter on the 1851.
This shorter grip looks like it would work well with the butt stock's clamp but of course the width wouldn't fit any better than the one in the picture.

Just remember you still should use the pistol with the mounted stock as 1 handed. You don't want to use you the loading lever as a forestock, with your second hand. If that baby chain fires you may have a few finger missing. Treat it the same way as you would the colt revolving rifle, or the Remington cattle rifle. It's tuff to pick your nose with missing fingers. :grin:

Looks like the same one that I use on my Colt 51 and/or my Remington 58. The stock locks into a longer hammer screw so there is a lot of room between the stock and frame. The grip on the Colt 60 is to long for that stock.
Deer_gun.jpg

Tinker2

that's what I was thinking Tinker, the slots in the brass section end fit over a hammer screw. isn't there some sort of small round boss that slides over the screw?

Guys,

My revolver has two special protruding screw heads on the side of the frame, they can be seen in the picture just above and slightly to the rear of the trigger. These are supposed to lock into the stock.The hammer pivot screw head is inset into the frame and does not protrude.

Army1860.jpg

The revolver frame measures 1.100" wide and the width across the two screw heads is 1.195"

I have returned the stock to the dealer for a refund so all I'll lose is the return postage.

Prices over here would make your eyes water in the US. I always reckon that we pay in pounds what you pay in US dollars for things. I paid £50 for the stock ($102 plus postage).

Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with the dealer.

Brian

Sorry to labour this point but I've only just worked out what Uberti mean when they say that the 1860 Army is "cut for a shoulder stock" and the Civilian version is not. Doh! :redface:

In the picture of the Army revolver you can see that the bottom of the semicircular swell of the frame immediately behind the cylinder on each side (is this called the "recoil shield"?) has been machined off at an angle.

The picture of the Uberti Army with stock fitted shows that the foremost brass portion of the stock engages under these cutouts and is held against them by the pressure of the locating hook.

The brass hand portion of the stock is noticeably longer than that of the one that I was sent in error.

thanks for the post and fotos Brian,I wondered if you are in GB and wish you the best in your efforts to find the correct stock. if I can provide any help let me know, I'll check Dixie's catalog and see what they say about. :v
God Bless the Queen :thumbsup:

the slots in the brass section end fit over a hammer screw. isn't there some sort of small round boss that slides over the screw?

Yes, the hammer screw is longer. The head of the
screw is twice as thick so it sticks out of the
frame and the other end has a round nut on it so
it is the same size as the screw head.

The brass part of the stock should NOT be against
the frame, only against/on the screw.

Tinker2

Blizzard of 93 said:
check Tinker's post. it's wide to fit over the boss that goes over hammer screw.

OK, I didn't understand that part. Guess I'm a lil thick at times.

Rebel said:
Yeath, i been thick for dayth now. Hope it goeth away thoon. :grin:

Melt some peppermint in a fifth of Jack Daniels and add some honey. It might not cure you but you won't care. :thumbsup:

This is a picture of a stock for a Colt 1851, also fits my Remington 58.

The picture has two of the replacement screws.
you only need one. The screw is what locks into
stock.

Stock18512.jpg

Latest posts

Back