• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I Buy This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! The 14” length of pull is the only thing holding me back. I am 5’ 7” and have found over the years a 13 1/2” pull works best for me generally.
Well, that does give the decision-making process another twist.

I am 5'6", or maybe even less by now. My wife says I've gotten shorter with aging, likely due to osseous changes in the spine. In any event, I like a 13-3/8" to 13-1/2" LOP for general use. An even 13" is tolerable and even preferable with winter clothes. If 14" is longer than you like, and then you expect to shoot outdoors in the Illinois winter, that is certainly a factor to consider. Excessive LOP has been a deal-breaker for me on more than one occasion, when considering guns that were otherwise very desirable. I don't have the skills or inclination to shorten a finished rifle myself, and you are not likely to find a gunsmith who will shorten a muzzleloader stock and re-fit a curved buttplate for you. I have tried. Even if they do, you are likely looking at a complete refinish job in addition to the cutting and fitting.

So, you are wise to consider the LOP. Otherwise, I think the Nelson Hawken is a very nice looking rifle.

Notchy Bob

Well, that does give the decision-making process another twist.

I am 5'6", or maybe even less by now. My wife says I've gotten shorter with aging, likely due to osseous changes in the spine. In any event, I like a 13-3/8" to 13-1/2" LOP for general use. An even 13" is tolerable and even preferable with winter clothes. If 14" is longer than you like, and then you expect to shoot outdoors in the Illinois winter, that is certainly a factor to consider. Excessive LOP has been a deal-breaker for me on more than one occasion, when considering guns that were otherwise very desirable. I don't have the skills or inclination to shorten a finished rifle myself, and you are not likely to find a gunsmith who will shorten a muzzleloader stock and re-fit a curved buttplate for you. I have tried. Even if they do, you are likely looking at a complete refinish job in addition to the cutting and fitting.

So, you are wise to consider the LOP. Otherwise, I think the Nelson Hawken is a very nice looking rifle.

Notchy Bob

Thank you, sir!

At this point maybe I should just order one on commission?

After my bad experience with Brant Selb I wanted to avoid being at the mercy of a builder and was hoping to find one already built, but it appears fruitless.

It's your dime, you want it then buy it.
I have a Pedersoli, 45 caliber, Hawken, percussion rifle that looks exactly like the one in your picture. I am happy with it. I have taken 2nd place in three different black powder shooting matches with mine.

Spend the 3K on exactly what you want. There is not a huge market for a 3k reproduction Hawken with someone else's name on it. That is a very nice looking rifle and TOTW knows the value of a custom built Hawken. But..... you are not the CUSTOMer it was built for. So really not a custom rifle for you. If you are just wanting a very nice shooter/hunter there are a lot of them out there for less than 1K. If you are wanting a show piece that will also be a shooter fit to your needs, have a custom one built and put your name of it. It will be worth more to your grandkids with granddad's name on it.

Some unsolicited advice.... if you find a gun that is extremely nice at a reasonable price point be careful asking the world if it is a good buy or a nice gun. Because it will be sold before you get your answer. I don't believe most of the folks on this site would do that to you, good people here with great advice.

Hum -- I was born and raised in NJ and I don't know what you mean. I now live in CA not by choice but by work. Back in 66' I bought a 57 Chevy two door post for $125. It was a beater for sure but it was a two door 57 Chevy! Ran into a ditch and took out a mailbox on someone's front lawn during a light snow fall. Car did not get hurt at all but it did cost me some bucks to have that mailbox fixed and to get the car towed out of the ditch:doh:

Also, looking again at the track photos the breach to tang fit is poor. Again just my opinion.
I don't see that, BUT it looks like there is some inletting issues at the front of the trigger plate which is difficult to get right without gaps on a Hawken. I'm no Hawken expert, but having looked at lots of photos of originals and my John Bergmann Hawken, I agree withe the gentleman who thinks the lock panels are not quite right.

After a little research, that gun may be well worth the 3k if it belonged to George "Baby Face" Nelson.
"Jeasus saves but George Nelson withdraws"
Screenshot_20231111_173335_Chrome.jpg

The big thing is the length of pull. I have an Ithaca Hawken I built from a kit in 1978 and it's beautiful rifle but the pull is too long. It is almost impossible to shoot it offhand and only works from a support. That rifle is really pretty and I'm a sucker for a plain maple stocked Hawken but $3,000 is a lot of money and you can maybe find another one that fits you. Even a Hawken Shop kit has a 14" pull and $1,600 and you'd have to build it yourself or pay someone to build it. I say pass.

Back