• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotguns loading technique

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

40 Cal
Reaction score
What have you tried and seen results with?

Like skychief it did something there

I know it's allott of work walking back and forth on the range. Most people pattern so much but don't try further to see if that open pattern holds any.. when you have no hits on target..

Things Like mix of shot...

Wadding column

Buffer etc..

This is a something I'm trying tomorrow.. I hope

That's about the amount of stuffing. Tobacco and or mice bedding lol I'm going to try.

I'm going to mix it up..

Sandwich it with the stuff..

Just shoot this confetti all over the range and see. 😕

Is safe to try there. We'll see if there's fire.. i don't know

Attachments

• 17135689434427529256627323158427.jpg
    17135689434427529256627323158427.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
I don't want to get into round ball yet..

I heard to much about how that round ball in those things was better than a rifled slug gun 👀. I could see it though if done right.

From what I get its not long range pattern... it's long range spit. Sometimes some combo makes accurate spit a group of 5 that keeps going and a good shot gets the birds far.. I don't know I think yea must be something there.

I don't know 🤔 does the nice pattern hold up better.. or dissappear in 5 yards.. you think it would be a nice pattern longer

Last edited:
From what I get its not long range pattern... it's long range spit. Sometimes some combo makes accurate spit a group of 5 that keeps going and a good shot gets the birds far.. I don't know I think yea must be something there.

I don't know 🤔 does the nice pattern hold up better.. or dissappear in 5 yards.. you think it would be a nice pattern longer
Try putting some cornmeal on top of the powder then a wad then your shot and finally your os wad.No more cornmeal than powder or just enough to fill your barrel 1/2” or so .

I hope no one's there... oh man I could see the questions now.

Loading critters over there. People going to look.

The shotgun muzzleloader is not commonly used. Here.. people look and ask about it just seeing it.

Sell ten gauge to everyone.

Last edited:
They said most people then stopped when they got up to 3 travel was good... 3 shot on target far.. 3 "drivers"

They said 5 drivers was bragging rights...

And the most was 8.. only one of the guns did that. To add to it the gun that did 8 was 5 the whole way and some how it went 8 at the end.

I don't know if it's true or not but it sounds. Doesn't sound like a myth. It's an aimed shot. Bore driven.

They said then... I was a choke tube that's what I know.. they were right about that.

It s sounding like they had a competition like that with the things... who could get it the best. Who could get the furthest bird type...

Don't know the distance or how big a target either. Or if the gun even aims and hits point of aim post 20 yards .. I'd guess big enough to see if anything lands paper

Not easy but I've seen patterns here with drivers in the middle.. 30 yards 5 drivers together dead center...

Last edited:
What book manuals are good for this?

you don't find skychief in a book... you find that here... it's a source you know....

Other than the same card cup load that's all you see.... nothing using this stuff.

Oh well... they didn't have anything that's what they used.. stuff.

But yes the guys I new who did this grew up with nothing... so they used stuff. That's why I get sent to the pet store.

They said mice shaving.. the pencil sharpening and wasp nest... the cards I think

Last edited:
Tss...

Want to add yea... bury that in. With lead too.

I don't think it's going to scratch a modern bore

Plus I don't want to be a baby about scratches with a 10ga

Last edited:
Before I pull the Trigger

I do want to ask the stupid not stupid question for the night before I retire..

If I do this.. stuff this with that much stuff and the lead .... it doesn't blow up. Right?

Its going to shoot it all out?

Not blow me up?🤔

Last edited:
Funny... I see them as kids teenagers doing this back then now because they were... so yea when a turkey gun fight turns into story.. and lesson on primitive blackpowder that I wish I new more than just choke tubes at the time.

Like a "piston" I called it and got yelled at because no squirrel or mice make a piston lol

They wanted to teach it normally.
they said that. Not chip and Dale. But then no description it's harder to learn...

Last edited:
I do want to wad all the stuff on top of the shot.. skychief thing

does a whole wad of junk in front of the shot have a better turkey pattern. Like skychief. Do we have to use a plug or does plugging it with that work too.. I want to try that. I can chew up the tobacco to make it like a big spit wad.

Last edited:
Mixing shot too

They said

Larger behind small in front.. small behind large in front.. mix it all up use 3 size even... that's mixing.

I should have bought one of these back then and learned something.

Like I think mix three big to smaller or smaller to big... maybe the right order your shot follows.. like cars that can't pass eachother?? The slow shot behind the fast shot.

Most of my thinking is getting the shot away from eachother less disturbing one another. In want to to travel like that a string of shot.

Maybe even 3 types of shot follows eachother... tss lead steel

Last edited:
I don't know. Being able even in a cup to separate 4 buffer 6 buffer 8 .

Why have it all get there the same time.. fighting over the lead or pushing eachother away.

Everyone try like 3 things and call it good. That's where I'm at... I tried 3 things.. 3 different cards. And two powders...

I can't even try all this... that's allot of range time.

Lol
Feels like sometimes this place is for reenacting and shooting blanks..

And sometimes we're a group of hunters and like shooters..

Is it dead lol

I asked a simple one question at a clay forum not bad.. got sent to a reliable source.. modern reloading and yes i think that's a good idea to read.. and then someone sent me back here... even though not helpful and I was getting the boot it was still helpful.

funny how did anyone even make and test this back then. Id be scared to pull the trigger. 😕 an experiment that goes boom who goes first.

I think it was too keep the fire away from the tobacco... was going to look it up more before asking why add it on the powder.

It's good I don't want to shoot it now without that.. I think I need it

Last edited:
Coffee I might use in replace this with now...

Why not?

pour shot.. teaspoon coffee.. pour shot. Then coffee... then shot card

Sperate some shot with it..

Simple test.

At least then if I want to maxwell house one... I can carry a couple K cup with me...

I like to let this pheasant fly away a little too sometimes... not just close.. I don't need much improvement just enough to get shot out there.

Or the multi bird load. With two size shot. Separated

Last edited:
I have participated in trap at the NMLRA matches for many years. Using the 12 ga., originals or a single barrel in line trap gun, I have used a 1 and an 18th shot dipper for both powder and shot. I have used black powder and substitutes. If you can not get Mike;s over powder wads use two over shot wads over the powder, half a cushion was, lubed or not, shot and an over powder wad. This has worked for the 10 yard, 16 yard and 20 yard matches. For shot I have used reclaimed shot of mixed used, 71/2 and and sevens. They all worked breaking clays. At our club some have used the 1 1/8 th dipper of corn meal instead of the cushion wad. That seemed to work for them. Good luck with your efforts.

Back