• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

28 gauge monkey gun at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after my last trip to the range with my 28 gauge smooth bore and the success I had I thought today I’m gonna see can can I get some success with the monkey gun.I have had it a few years know and never could get it to shoot that good.well wouldn’t you know it likes the same loading as the flint lock.Finally ,so all these years of you guys saying less powder tightens the group It finally sunk in and I tried it .well I loaded her up with 40 grns of 2f an nitro card ,paper shot cup made oe 3 wraps of news paper then 60 grns eq #7 1/2 shot and a home made OS card out of a corn flake box.here ya go enjoy.all we’re shot off hand,is hot some of the cans with#6
And one with 7 1/2 but it started raining before I could see how it patterned with #6 .Next time😀I go I well try it out,I was really taken with how tore up the cans with # 6 shot.so if I can hit them I should have 2 chicken guns ready this fall .😀

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 0
I have the 1/2 stock version of yours in 28ga also and my powder and shot load is very similar to yours. I use a thick cardboard wad punched from a note pad over powder and a 1/4" hard felt wad over shot that is soaked overnight in olive oil. It's sloppy to load but it really tightened up my pattern.. These little Spanish smoothbores are light to carry and a fun squirrel & bunny gun.

Thanks,
O.R.

I have the 1/2 stock version of yours in 28ga also and my powder and shot load is very similar to yours. I use a thick cardboard wad punched from a note pad over powder and a 1/4" hard felt wad over shot that is soaked overnight in olive oil. It's sloppy to load but it really tightened up my pattern.. These little Spanish smoothbores are light to carry and a fun squirrel & bunny gun.

Thanks,
O.R.
Any other guys out there with one these little guns I’d be interested in hearing what you no for a load.powder wads shot cup or not shot load and OS card.Ilook forward to hearing from you .

Back