• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun came already loaded.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spare me the advice guys. Ive known this gentleman for years. I know he was a user of black powder, not modern stuff. The only modern component was the ballistic tipped bullet, of the kind they use in inlines. I guess I should've mentioned that, to avoid the chastising.
Yes, knowing the person that loaded it makes a lot of difference.
But I was mainly commenting for the newer shooters.
There are too many new shooters here to be telling them that you got away with this.
Help them learn the safe way to do things, and as they gain experience, they can make their own decisions, based on good habits and experiences.

Man, do I sound old, or what? :dunno:

Last edited:
This came up a few years back and I observed that one of the causes of this was the habit of leaving ML loaded which seems pretty ingrained in some parts..!

My view is that I would never leave a gun loaded and unsupervised, particularly a muzzle loader which is hard to check. We are surely not relying on MLs for self defence and is the risk really worth the chance that a prize deer happens to wander into the back yard?

I got shot down by the traditionalists, but surely this is not a sensible strategy these days... as I said at the time, do you really want to be the cause of your great great grandchild putting a bullet through their head when playing with great grandpappy's old gun?

Have had several with obstructions over the years. Last one was my present 12 bore single barrel. Seller told me there was "something" in the barrel. After much digging with various ramrods, etc. and bouncing the muzzle on the floor, lead shot turned white, newspaper, and chunks of powder came out. Newspaper was hand-set type but fragmented to the point as to be undecipherable. You never know.

Years ago when I had my FFL I bought three Mauser C96s from Century Arms. They had been imported from China and were in fairly rough shape. Pretty typical of what was being imported at the time. What was not typical was one of them had a full magazine, a round in the chamber, and was COCKED! The safety was on. but Holy Hell folks. What really stumped me was who would have packed it and shipped it like that?

I always check BP rifles that I look at in pawn shops to verify load status. I have found two that were loaded in the past 25 years. The people showing the rifles to me have no idea how to check if a BP rifle is loaded, so I show them how to do it.

I always check BP rifles that I look at in pawn shops to verify load status. I have found two that were loaded in the past 25 years. The people showing the rifles to me have no idea how to check if a BP rifle is loaded, so I show them how to do it.
My father bought an old civil war musket to hang on the fireplace. When kids my brother and I took turns pulling the hammer back and firing at each other playing yanks and rebs. A few years ago a friend was telling me about an old musket he had that he put a cap on it and it fired. I remembered the old musket and took it outside and put a cap on it. Boom! Had to call my brother up , luckily we weren't smart enough to put some of our toy cap gun caps on it

I was looking for an older lightweight SxS shotgun and someone here said they had one. After due diligence I was satisfied that the deal was legit and we proceeded. The gun arrived and it is in better condition than described and photos indicated. The Seller said he bought several guns in order to get one in the bundle that he really wanted. Admitted he didn’t know much about these.

I was going to clean, check and oil the barrels. When I looked down them with a light I did not see the breach, but rather a flat white surface in both barrels. I used a patch screw and removed a white card from each. Then I could see shot, which I dumped out. There was an orange thing still in there that I could pull to the choke but then it would stick. I used a CO2 discharge and everything came out into a bucket. The orange was cork, lubed wads. I measured what I could out of curiosity. 90 grains of powder and 1 1/8 oz or mixed shot, size 2,6 and 8. The nipple threads had slight rust and the breach face. It came right off. First time for me, coming across a loaded ML upon inspection. CHECK, Check, check! I let the Seller know, but I’m not upset, I know he didn’t know and I’m glad he didn’t load and try to shoot as he may have hurt himself or the gun. On a side note, the nipple threads and just slightly more upright than the 4 other Pedersolis I have. While I switched the others to musket cap with a simple nipple swap, this one doesn’t squarely hit the musket cap nipples. I figured out a minor mod to the nipple that will work and I’ll get that done later today. Please beware of “new”, used MLs …. They could be loaded.
Got one recently. Single barrel .36. found loaded with 2 balls stacked, and no powder.

I was looking for an older lightweight SxS shotgun and someone here said they had one. After due diligence I was satisfied that the deal was legit and we proceeded. The gun arrived and it is in better condition than described and photos indicated. The Seller said he bought several guns in order to get one in the bundle that he really wanted. Admitted he didn’t know much about these.

I was going to clean, check and oil the barrels. When I looked down them with a light I did not see the breach, but rather a flat white surface in both barrels. I used a patch screw and removed a white card from each. Then I could see shot, which I dumped out. There was an orange thing still in there that I could pull to the choke but then it would stick. I used a CO2 discharge and everything came out into a bucket. The orange was cork, lubed wads. I measured what I could out of curiosity. 90 grains of powder and 1 1/8 oz or mixed shot, size 2,6 and 8. The nipple threads had slight rust and the breach face. It came right off. First time for me, coming across a loaded ML upon inspection. CHECK, Check, check! I let the Seller know, but I’m not upset, I know he didn’t know and I’m glad he didn’t load and try to shoot as he may have hurt himself or the gun. On a side note, the nipple threads and just slightly more upright than the 4 other Pedersolis I have. While I switched the others to musket cap with a simple nipple swap, this one doesn’t squarely hit the musket cap nipples. I figured out a minor mod to the nipple that will work and I’ll get that done later today. Please beware of “new”, used MLs …. They could be loaded.
The very first thing I was taught about guns at age 6 was to assume it is loaded until you absolutely know otherwise.

Family owned a gun store for 30yrs, in one day I had 3 guns handed to me to be worked on, when I pulled the slide back on one it spit a shell out customers face turned white, he didn't realize it was loaded, same thing happened on another one customer casually goes oh I forgot to tell you its loaded, third guy was just clueless, always check,

I found a little CVA Frontier in a pawnshop in West Helena,Ar. and when I dropped a ramrod down the barrel found out that it was loaded. I told the guy behind the counter “you know this one is loaded?” He looked surprised and said “what can I do about it?” I told him to make it affordable and let me worry about it. He got on his computer, punched a few keys, and said “I’ve got $25 in it, give me $26 and it’s yours “. I bought it, pulled the nipple and soaked the breach in water for a while then used a ball puller and removed the load. It’s my loaner now

Yes, knowing the person that loaded it makes a lot of difference.
But I was mainly commenting for the newer shooters.

Help them learn the safe way to do things, and as they gain experience, they can make their own decisions, based on good habits and experiences.

Man, do I sound old, or what? :dunno:
Agreed!

This came up a few years back and I observed that one of the causes of this was the habit of leaving ML loaded which seems pretty ingrained in some parts..!

My view is that I would never leave a gun loaded and unsupervised, particularly a muzzle loader which is hard to check. We are surely not relying on MLs for self defence and is the risk really worth the chance that a prize deer happens to wander into the back yard?

I got shot down by the traditionalists, but surely this is not a sensible strategy these days... as I said at the time, do you really want to be the cause of your great great grandchild putting a bullet through their head when playing with great grandpappy's old gun?
Nothing wrong IMO with leaving a charge in your gun. Just flag the gun in some way to remind you. Feather, toothpick, or in my case a coiled pipe cleaner in the flash hole is an easy reminder that there is a charge in the bore.

Latest posts

Back