• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun came already loaded.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in the 1950's and 60's. Every boy and some of the girls I knew all played war with toy guns. We knew the difference between real and toy. Back then many of the toy guns looked real.
Yep, cap guns, rubber band guns, plastic pellet guns, water guns, cork shooting guns and then on to BB guns. How did I not grow up to be serial killer?

Nothing wrong IMO with leaving a charge in your gun. Just flag the gun in some way to remind you. Feather, toothpick, or in my case a coiled pipe cleaner in the flash hole is an easy reminder that there is a charge in the bore.
I use a piece of red flagging tape and place it on the nipple and ease the hammer down on it to tell me it’s loaded. No cap on it of course.

On a couple of occasions during dear season I’ve left a loaded muzzleloader in the safe. I pulled the ramrod and put it in the barrel with a masking tape flag with “Loaded” written on it for both my safety and for others. The rifle was always uncapped or had a pick of some sort in the touchhole.

Years ago when I had my FFL I bought three Mauser C96s from Century Arms. They had been imported from China and were in fairly rough shape. Pretty typical of what was being imported at the time. What was not typical was one of them had a full magazine, a round in the chamber, and was COCKED! The safety was on. but Holy Hell folks. What really stumped me was who would have packed it and shipped it like that ?
Not only in China !
Back in the 1960s I was gunsmithing for a living and had just delivered some repaired pistols to Smith’s Sports Store in Sydney.
Was chatting with Mick Smith when a parcel was delivered, in the attached envelope was a note to the effect that the rifle was jammed etc., Les Crisp, Mick’s Manager opened the parcel and took out a cocked Lee Enfield., the bolt couldn’t be moved at all, so Mick said to take it out back to the test firing hole because it might be loaded.
The safety was not on when it arrived as I saw Les apply it after he’d first picked it up.
sure enough we felt the ’bump’ and heard the muffled report, Les came back with the rifle still with a stuck bolt but now much safer; either sheer luck that it had not gone off in transit or the Post people really took good care of parcels in those days.

Last edited:
What happened to that guy?
I never heard of a follow-up.
This photo put the fear of God in me regarding smokeless and black powder.
I could make some bad jukes, but I don't want to piss off Karma. :ghostly:
I just try to be as absolutely careful as I possibly can.
And, I certainly keep my smokeless powder stored well away from my black powder. :thumb:

I got a W H Baker muzzle loading gun with two shotgun barrels and one rifle barrel. I quickly found the rifle barrel had a broken, hand carved , ramrod. After getting the ramrod out, there was still a load in the “chamber”. It took a lot of work to get the load out, but finally I got it all. It appeared to have a hair mixture for a wad. I destroyed the bullet, but wish I knew what it was.

In this case, the Seller bought a lot from someone in order to get what he wanted. He was not really a muzzleloading guy or a shotgunner. He put the items he didn't want for sale and gave an honest description and photos without trying to clean them up any. He really had no idea it was loaded as it obviously came to him that way.

I will reiterate my plea not to leave ML guns loaded and unattended.. we are no longer living in a culture that understands the dangers of ML guns and will handle them with knowledge. The number of "old" loaded guns presents enough of a danger from the past without current users of ML guns adding to the problem in the future..

This has nothing to do with "maintaining tradition"! I suggest that there is no valid self defence or subsistence hunting requirement to have loaded ML guns about. You are simply leaving booby traps for the future, which may kill you, your children or your great grandchildren. Even worse you may kill or maim some innocent individual in the future without even the minimal advantage of clearing the gene pool...!

Don't do it! FIre or blow out your gun with a gas discharger at the end of the day. Do not leave it with a charge in the barrel sitting there to cause mayhem in the future.

If your really want to make a statement in the future, go lay some mines in your backyard! From an old EOD operator, my professional opinion is that this would be a safer option!

I mentioned some of this before. I was sent to an unknown trouble call.
A teen had built a shotgun from a pipe and rubber bands by watching YouTube.
Not knowing any different he loaded it with smokeless.
He lost his arm above the elbow.
I helped the EMT look for pieces.
My shift partner and I drank a 5th when we got off duty.
Ten years, I can still smell the iron in the air.
Don't ever shoot an unknown load, please.

A shooter posted the photos of his remaining hand parts after loading smokeless and shooting it.

Over the years i've bought and traded for several muzzleloaders that were loaded. i did not fire them.

A close friend was present on a firing range when a muzzleloader shooter was seriously injured when his gun blew up. Sitting on the shooters bench was a red and white can of IMR powder.

Latest posts

Back