• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun Kits.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twice boom

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does any one know of a company that offers a shotgun kit for the self doer.
Thank. Twice.

Thanks Swampy. I know they make good guns and their kit is probably a good one ,but I can't warm up to chrome bores and chokes in a muzzleloader .
I was hoping someone out there was making something more traditional..

I have a set of beautiful Damascus barrels threaded for breech plugs , L&R locks, triggers and a standing breech, also a very nice chunk of English walnut for the stock. What I don’t have is a lathe for making the breech plugs .. Other than that I would attempt my hand at making my own..
Thanks a bunch.
Twice.

Dunlap makes a nice single barrel half-stock flintlock fowler kit that is closely based on a shotgun he owns, but like I said it is a single.

I'm just speculating here...
Couldn't you go to a steel yard, get a rod of the proper diameter, thread it, and make your own plugs? It would be a lot of work, but from the sound of things, you've got most of what you need.
You could make the plugs with a square protruding so that you can tighten and loosen them, then when everything is set, cut them off.
Just rambling.. :yakyak:

Every once in a while an old CVA double kit shows up for sale. Not too long ago there was one in the original wrapping here in the Classified Ads. Those older kits are dandies with cylinder bores, etc. A buddy of mine has one he assembled from a kit years ago, and I have never been able to talk him out of it.

I recently picked up a used Navy Arms double that meets the specs. Not a kit, but I was glad to get it. I had one years ago and used it for near two decades with complete happiness.

Mike.
Finding the steel shouldn’t be a problem. The issue is not about threading the plugs, they also need to be drilled in to a cone shape (depending on the style ) , the problem irises for someone with out a lathe because one of the plugs has to cuddle up to the other and for it to do that it has to be shaped or cut like a half moon. I suppose I did enough filing work in my life to where I can file the standing breech hooks from there and chisel the depression on the breech plug for the nipples. If I can find some one to do that for me I can ease the barrels and all else in to the stock. I have done enough stock work to feel confident that I can make things look fairly good.

Twice.

Cone shaped breech plugs=plumbing threads.
Seems like a waste not to use those barrels.
Sorry if I'm being pushy. :surrender:

A fellow from England send them to me along with a set of back action locks. I agree it will be a shame if I do not do anything with them.

Twice

Twice, Another way to finish off the plugs as they extend from the breech, is to finish them to barrel size and make a piece to match up with the rib, fit in properly and silver solder it to one plug only. saves a lot of filing. Cerrosafe the chamber and forcing cone before you tap the chamber, shop around for a job shop, give them the dimensions you need or the barrels and chamber molds. Who knows you might find a shop that is so intrigued with what your doing, they might do it for cost. Good luck!
Robby

TwiceBoom

I,too, have this idea. To share some thoughts. I have an original sxs 12 ga. percussion with the type of breech plugs you describe that is a hooked breech with a hook coming off each plug. TOW shows hooked breech plugs which consist of only the threaded plug w/hook coming off it for use w/Hawkin style rifles. This would place the butt of the barrel directly against the tang portion of the breech.

If the two plugs are threaded w/ a stub of shaft on the end, the hooks can be hacksawed & filed to shape after they are screwed into the barrels. Cutting & shaping the tang part might be interesting, but also doable w/mostly hand tools

That is my theory, anyway. If it really isn't feasable, I'm sure someone will come along and shoot me down. Or, with the expertise on this forum, maybe even fill in some of the holes.

Paul

Hi Moose.

Here is the problem as I see it. But I could be wrong. The problem I think might be with one of the plugs as they are, I do not believe one of the plugs will allow the other to get past it for it to screw in to the barrel. That is why one of the two plugs is half round to snuggles up against the other. Otherwise it can not be made to work..IMO.

I 'll look up Bill Brockway’s book and have another look to see what he recommends.
Twice.

Robby. The chamber has already been taped by a gunsmith down the road from me that was a carrier machinist He had two years to fit the breech plugs to the barrels. And the only thing he managed to do was to tap them. I even gave him Bill Brockway’s book to go by and still didn’t do anything beyond taping the barrels. I just have to get going on it again.

Twice.

Just go to a machine shop, show them what you want
and they will make it, should be no problem.
Deadeye

Back