• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun Kits.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are right, I have to bite the bullet and get it done. It shouldn't be a big deal for a good mechanist And if I were to pull the breech plugs out of my John Manton .it should make their job easier.
Twice.

Moose, This picture shows a double rifle I made. I breeched and shaped the hooks before they were joined. The standing breech is made from angle iron.
DSCN0321.jpg

One of the problems with using existing joined barrels is cutting down the chambers to such a length That you can have a bore in your breech plugs (similar to a patent breech) that will Not allow an air space between a full charge and the load of wads and shot. Brockway solves this problem with an oversize flange on one of the plugs, but it involves a lot of filing on that plug. I think both plugs can be made to barrel O.D., and the rib extension can be soldered to one of the plugs, eliminating a whole lot of extra work. Either way eventually the hooks must be formed. I may be missing something, but I will find out if I am, I've got two of these in the pipeline.

My bad! I was talking flint & when I reread one of your posts where you mentioned nipples, I realized you are talking percussion.

Talk to Doc White, www.whitemuzzleloading.com,

He has quite a few incomplete pieces that he might trade with you for or you might be able to buy an incomplete.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are a bunch of motivators. I’ll get on it soon after I get back from my hunting trip, and post few pictures of all the stuff that”˜ll make up the gun..
Robby I like it. How about few more pictures .

Thank you.
Twice

If you're willing to wait for them to cast the parts, The Rifle Shoppe has parts sets listed for several nice double guns.

Robby, Did you make that from Mr. Brockway,s book. Wow! My new found hero.
Just awesome.. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
Twice.

Thanks Twice. I bought the Brockway book to see if he had any information on regulating barrels, when I was well into this project. He doesn't say much on the barrel regulation, and almost every thing else in the book is pretty specific to what he is trying to accomplish, so I pretty much made it work as I went along. It is a real pleasure to shoot. I just received some damascus barrels, and plan on making good use of Mr. Brockway's book. Thanks again.
Robby

Robby,you are welcome. So how did you regulate the barrels.Trial and error . Or did you sight through the bores at a common point.

Twice.

Twice, Regulating, groan! I was trying to sort this all out, on my own, so my methodology may be flawed. My barrels are straight tapered, so at some point down range the balls would cross, and I wanted to use one set of sights for aiming both barrels, even though a lot of the SXS's of the flint era had a sight for each barrel. I took the two mating sides of each barrel and filed out enough material so that if joined at the breech and muzzle, they could be squeezed together and have a common impact point at one hundred yards. I don't remember, off the top of my head, all the math I used, but when filed and laid together they touched at the muzzle and breech, sort of like a bowlegged man, heels together, merging at the crotch. I made bore plugs and inserted them at the muzzles and the breech, suspended the barrels by the plugs on a flat surface, insuring, for elevation, the bores would be running together. Lightly clamped then at the muzzle and breech and silver soldered them. Inserted the B/P's and drilled the touch holes, made a try stock out of two by fours, made a thing, sort of like a weaver mount and soft soldered it to one of the barrels, and mounted a scope on it. Scope alignment didn't have to be perfect, as long as I put the cross hairs on the same spot down range, and my impacts were on the paper, I was shooting for left and right barrel groups. At fifty yards, as assembled, I had one group about two and a half inches above and two inches to the left of the other. According to my math, windage wise I was where I wanted to be, as they would merge at one hundred yards, but elevation wise, I was off. I had made provision for windage adjustments, bringing shims and clamps with me to wedge apart or squeeze the barrels for that purpose, but for elevation, I was out of luck. I should have left them alone and considered one dead on at fifty and the other dead on at one hundred. But in the arrogance of ignorance, I thought I could do better. I un-soldered the muzzles, realigned for elevation an tried again. No dice, it got worse. After a few more try's I figured with the high heat of repeated silver soldering I may have damaged the muzzle's, so I cut about one and a half inches off. This fixed and tightened back up, the grouping of the barrels individually, but not together as a common impact point. I finally gave in, and gave each barrel its own set of sights, and finished the gun. Unhappy with my with the sights, I finally made one front sight, and one rear sight that has one blade/notch for one barrel, rotates, or flips ninety degrees, and has another blade/notch for the other barrel. Well there it is, warts and all, but I learned a lot, and if motivated, I am confident I could use those lessons to accomplish what I had started out to do originally, one set of sights for both barrels. I am at peace with my compromise, and do enjoy shooting the gun now. I don't really consider the project a failure, a failure would have been not daring myself to try this in the first place.
It weighs in at just under ten pounds. I hope I have made this understandable. If not, feel free to ask.
Robby

Robby.
I admire your perseverance ,I would have been looking for professional help way before then.:>).

I know modern doubles are tuned to have a common crossing point at forty yards in a 30 inch circle and sometimes they are off by a foot or so coming straight out of the factory. So when I read your barrels had to be soldered the first thing came to mind was Oh Boy.. I think you did fine with out having professional experience. Imagine even the pros that do it day in and day out have a hard time regulating double rifles at those distances . :hatsoff:

I dug up Mr. Brockway’s book and had another go at it. You have inspired me enough to attempt making my own breech plugs per Mr. Brockway’s suggestions, as soon as I get back from my trip.
Damn I’m glad I started this thread.

Twice.

Back