• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot the GPR today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot the GPR today I was testing out my Walmart pillow ticking and my Lee .530 round balls I pored. Shot at 30 yards 1" orange dot 80grs of Goex FFFg. Not bad next time I will swab between each shot to see if that changes anything. Before I shot this, I probably shot her 9 times no swabbing. I am thinking I may get the primitive semi buck horn rear sight. Really am enjoying this flintlock.
IMG_20210209_210521.jpg

i am in SC it will be around 64 today. i have been here since birth, 1957, and i have saw snow about 10-15 times in my life. in 1973 it snowed about one week straight! it shut everything down for 2 weeks. our snow here is in the form of rain, i will take that any day. BTW nice shooting "ballshooter",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have two Great Plains 54 rifles. One a Lyman percussion and the other one of the new Pedersoli signature series Great Plains flintlocks. I got way better groups with 80 gr of 2F than I did with any load I tried with 3F. I also clean after each shot. If you have any handy you might wanna give it a try.

I have two Great Plains 54 rifles. One a Lyman percussion and the other one of the new Pedersoli signature series Great Plains flintlocks. I got way better groups with 80 gr of 2F than I did with any load I tried with 3F. I also clean after each shot. If you have any handy you might wanna give it a try.
I do have some 2f I'll give that a go next time out.

Ive got a lefty gpr in .54 cal. I shoot the same charge as in my TVM Lancaster, 80 grns 2fg over a .530 ball. Tennis ball sized groups at 50 yards. Good enough for me.

Shot the GPR today I was testing out my Walmart pillow ticking and my Lee .530 round balls I pored. Shot at 30 yards 1" orange dot 80grs of Goex FFFg. Not bad next time I will swab between each shot to see if that changes anything. Before I shot this, I probably shot her 9 times no swabbing. I am thinking I may get the primitive semi buck horn rear sight. Really am enjoying this flintlock.View attachment 63289
Great! Thanks for the 'report'!

i am in SC it will be around 64 today. i have been here since birth, 1957, and i have saw snow about 10-15 times in my life. in 1973 it snowed about one week straight! it shut everything down for 2 weeks. our snow here is in the form of rain, i will take that any day. BTW nice shooting "ballshooter",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Currently -11 here. And if you'd like to see some snow I could mail you a truckload. Tonight will be -18 with -35 windchill. Managed to shoot 4 shots today out of gun I'm fixing, but only because I was dying to find out if it shoots now. It does.

My great plains is my best shooting gun, by the way. 9-10 shots without swabbing sounds about right. And she'll still ring gongs long after. It just gets hard to shove balls into her eventually (palm saver helps).

Hey, i've noticed that on about 7-10 of shots, my balls seat below the loading notch on my ramrod (yes I have two notches). It's as if is some fowling gets shoved down there each time you load. Lately I've been thinking of bringing along my breech scraper for when I clean for another round of balls.

Great shooting.

you can keep the snow! i will say this, when it gets cold here , below freezing. it is cold friend! the dampness in the air here makes it like a deep freezer. the few days it gets in the 20s-teens it is bone chilling,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Is the Pedersoli Signature series rifled with a faster twist for bullets rather than ball? I was looking hard at these but want to shoot ball exclusively. But, I am still learning, or trying to before I buy!

Nice groups Ballshooter!

We are enjoying snow and cold temperatures here in Southern Michigan.

Is the Pedersoli Signature series rifled with a faster twist for bullets rather than ball? I was looking hard at these but want to shoot ball exclusively. But, I am still learning, or trying to before I buy!

Nice groups Ballshooter!

We are enjoying snow and cold temperatures here in Southern Michigan.
Mine is a 54 and it has a 1/66 twist.

Thanks! I need to keep looking, and learning.
I have both the signature series and a regular Lyman Great Plains. One flint and one percussion. The Pedersoli is much nicer with fit and finish but it doesn’t shoot any better than the Lyman. If your looking the save a few bucks the Lyman Great Plains with the 1/66 twist is a very good option. If you want it prettier and want to spend more money go with the signature series.

Latest posts

Back