• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting sticks ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronghorn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my 11 year old son to the range yesterday, and he shot my GPR .54 very well off the bench using 30gr FF and a prb. He is a little on the small side, and can not hold the heavy ML without some type of support.

I would like to make him a pair of shooting sticks. Any thoughts on how to build my own? Some pictures would be great.

Thanks

Give me a PM I have a set that stands by its self that would work I think.
Fox :thumbsup:

When I first started shooting I think Dad just cut a couple small sticks (x) and bound them together with twine. Doesn't need to be anything fancy to hold up a gun barrel. :v

The ones i`ve made are just a couple boards ripped to 3/4 by 1/2 however long ya want and a 1/4 inch hole drilled through them with a bolt with a wingnut on it.
I put a piece of leather accross the top for the gun to rest on.
Make them the right length for sitting or standing.
Or ya can get fancy and use diamond willow sticks or something else.
I`ve never made any three leg ones that stand on there own.
shootingstix-1.jpg

post a picture if ya can....i'm looking fer some sticks instead of going out and buying them at 75.00 :v .............bob

:v That picture tells it all----it's totally simple---for ground spikes I use 6" long screws and grind the ends to a sharp point----then I round off the end othe sticks to fit a copper sweat fitting, which is pinned to the leg and expoxied on the tip to provide some cover for the wood end-grain. :thumbsup:

To the sticks in the picture from PitchyPine I'd recommend adding leather other padding to the area between the sticks at the top where the rifle will lay to protect the finish.

Sir Michael said:
To the sticks in the picture from PitchyPine I'd recommend adding leather other padding to the area between the sticks at the top where the rifle will lay to protect the finish.
I don`t get your meaning, the leather strip stays taught between the sticks and the only part of the gun that rests apon it is the bottum.
Depends on how ya adjust the sticks, if the tops were brought closer together then the sides of the gun would contact the leather, but i still don`t see where the harm would come from.
Maybe you missed seeing the leather strap between the tips of the sticks.

The one I like is very much like yours. Except that the top strap is about 2' to 3' long. The strap has holes across its length. These hole can be used to adjust the rifle muzzle up or down by changing holes as needed. The trick is to keep the muzzle only about 4" past the strap when firing. :thumbsup:

The one I like is very much like yours. Except that the top strap is about 2' to 3' long. The strap has holes across its length. These holes can be used to adjust the rifle muzzle up or down by changing holes as needed. The trick is to keep the muzzle only about 4" past the strap when firing. :thumbsup: I would also drop that center bolt down. It seems a little too high. The legs will be way out on lower shots. :applause:

They work fine for me but i`m tall, a person would have to fine tune them to fit themselves.
I can stand and shoot real comfortably with these, your point about keeping the sticks out toward the muzzle is a good one, makes for a steadier shot.

Thanks guys for the help. PickyPine, I like your idea and will try to make a set!!

Can't wait to get the youngster shootin some more!

pronghorn said:
Thanks guys for the help. PickyPine, I like your idea and will try to make a set!!

Can't wait to get the youngster shootin some more!

Glad i could help.
I just took my side grinder and made the tops of the sticks like pegs then cut holes in the end of the leather to slip over them.

CrossSticks.jpg
[/img]

This is a set that I made a while back.

They are of 1 inch by 1 inch Massanronduba wood which when finished is just over 3/4 inch. You see a carry strap, leather rifle rest pads, a tie down strap and a buffer to keep them from banging together when carried. The buffer works as a back up rifle pad.

The feathers and decorations are from another set of sticks that I won in a state Cross Stock match a few years ago.

You may see that these are fastened by a brass bold and wing nut.

When I make these now, I bevel the top to look nicer rather than leaving them as sharp striaght edges.

CS

Back