• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Rest?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had always used the sand bags & shooting block at the range. Then I found a rest from Buffalo arms and liked it. ( the one on the bottom is the one from Buffalo Arms.)
9812A54D-D6AC-4AB4-9DF0-1F2EE836915E.jpeg
DEBC1A30-64E5-46D4-A762-9EAA1A06E710.jpeg

I ended up ordering the adjustable Caldwell front rest after messing around with building one out of scrap 2X's and a sandbag style one out a hunting sock and air soft pellets. Both would work in a pinch but in end having one that's adjustable won out. Here's my set up (and one of my critters).View attachment 219693
That's actually a pretty nice rest: excellent choice.

Yes, shooting sticks where the distance will likely be long. I just stuff them down the back of my shirt or coat when not in use. Great for groundhog hunting. Makes me imagine i'm out on the Plains getting buffalo meat for my Native American woman or for a fur-trade fort. I reckon we all might pretend a bit. Or a lot.
5848FD66-E3CF-486A-96DF-B17B76BF7382.jpeg
5848FD66-E3CF-486A-96DF-B17B76BF7382.jpeg
The best rest.

Caldwell 7 rest is what I use. Cheap, sturdy, flexible and adequate adjustment. I zip-tied closed cell foam to the front of rest on mine. Cut down on stock rubs and the softer material better replicates your gun being hand held.

I primarily use it to cut way down on human variables while working up a load. When zeroing, I'll do it without support in the position I choose. Idea of zeroing is to adjust sights to allow for your human frailties and foibles.

From 1492 to cr 1700 rifles were few and far between in America. Smoothbores were the go to. Even by 1750 even hard core longhunters were more often than not sending ball home from a smoothie.
Rifle guns were popular after the revolution, in parts of America, not too much in Canada. When the fur trade started in the Rockies it was said French, Indian ( eastren tribes men who came to work our west) Mexicans ( that included the Spanish population of Louisiana, plus guys out of New Mexico) all shot a fusil, while ‘Americans’ wanted a rifle.
You bought a rifle you got a mould. You didn’t try .526, .527, .530, .535 in your new gun.
Powder charge was rule of thumb. Cover a ball in the palm of your hand with powder.
You didn’t try five grain differences until you got the best load.
Boone liked 400 count linen but I bet most people patched with what ever the trader had, or old shirts and pants.
This is our sport.
Sorta glad I'm around today and not back when as the sport is different . Mine is MOA and
not MOI (minute of (INDIAN) ! And I shoot a lot more and a lot farther cause of it just sayin/ Ed

I use old lead shot bags filled with deer corn. Makes them lighter than sand bags and pliable enough.

40 years ago I cut up some old jeans and had the wife sew up leg pieces to hold a zip lock full of navy beans. I adjusted the amount of beans for bag firmness. Made 3 sizes in various firmness and the jeqns just don't wear out.

I’ve had always used the sand bags & shooting block at the range. Then I found a rest from Buffalo arms and liked it. ( the one on the bottom is the one from Buffalo Arms.)View attachment 220024View attachment 220025
They were out of stock of that exact one, but just bought a similar one. Where did you get the rifle loading brace clamped to the left side of the stand?

I am a hunter first. I sight in off my hand. Any support is for my hand. Any rest will work. I lay my hand on the rest and hold the rifle in my hand. I have had too many rifles, unmentionable and BP that shoot to different points of impact from rests of different firmness.

I used a catastrophe rest made of 2 by four board , w/a piece of carpet nailed on it. It didn't rock or move at all . My neighbor went and bought me one of those Caldwell Jr. rests. I really like it , but it might fit in the over kill rest category. Use what your budget can stand.

Back