• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Rest?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a rest similar to the one pictured. With a leather bag under the buttstock. Same setup in use for unmentionables. Once I'm dialed in and know what the gun can do, I shoot offhand or lean against a post to makenit more like real life.

All you guys with your PC this and your HC that and the first thing you want to do is run out and buy pre-made shooting rests.

What do you think they used 200 years ago? Hint. It wasn't Lead Sleds and custom rifle supports from the big box stores.
I use cross sticks tied together. These were made out of some broom handles I cut and sharpened on end. They’re adjustable. I don’t often go to a range.

Very important.

Rest the rifle where you will put your hand when shooting offhand. Good luck!

Also, have your back in the same position as when shooting off hand.

I made my own.
Went to Dollar sore and bought a lunch bag, added ziplock bag of sand, and cut Pool noodle to size and indentation in the middle.
All for $10, and nice and solid.

IMG_8668_BenchBag-1000.jpg

a bag full of sand or something to support the forward hand. there have been a few people who have sighted in their rifles with the barrel on a rest and then had the group shift or open up once they shoot offhand. pressure on the barrel can change things.
TRUE some people will never do it that way but it is the correct way JMHO

I shot my flintlock for the first time the other day and after just having fun shooting and learning it's time to get it sighted in and work on a load. What does everyone use for a shooting rest to sight in these long guns? All of my other rifles including my unmentionable have scopes and bipods so I've always just needed to run the small V cut rear sandbag Caldwell sells. I'm thinking either just getting the front Caldwell sandbag or either one of the two linked below. Or does anyone have any other recommendations? I will probably be shooting off a plastic folding table if that matters.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015052687?pid=682659
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015049090?pid=610698
In my experience the platform you shoot off is just as important as the rest you put on it. A wobbly plastic table ain’t going to do you much good. A concrete shooting bench works well.

a bag full of sand or something to support the forward hand. there have been a few people who have sighted in their rifles with the barrel on a rest and then had the group shift or open up once they shoot offhand. pressure on the barrel can change things.
All my groups open up when I’m not using a rest, LOL!
-Red, kind of shaky…

My 2 cents: I'm 75. Been sighting in rifles since age 16. Although truck hoods and makeshift rests work okay, I've learned to arrange something that positively fixes the butt and forestock solidly for each shot. Two sandbags, homemade or commercial, are enough if placed on a solid bench where the shooter can seat himself. Even better, and my preferred method, is a store-bought adjustable contraption that allows you to adjust the rest to find the dead center of your target and hold it there. I mean the kind of rest you can remove your gun from for cleaning or whatever, return it and note that your sights are very near where they were before, and only minimal adjustment of the rest or rifleis needed to again find that dead center. Then you simply take hold of the gun and make whatever small shifting effort to insure the shot can be made with perfect alignment. But yes, two rolled up towels will do the job.

I made a pair of shooting sticks with a leather sling between them to hold the rifle in place. I have zero money in the sticks and so far has worked fine for sighting in my rifle. Just remember the butt pad if the ground is damp.
Ohio Rusty ><>
sticks.JPG

Latest posts

Back