• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Rest?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save yourself some money, find someone who re-loads shotgun shells, get a few shot bags fill with sand sew the ends shut, or legs out of old blue jeans work well also.
I’ve done the “jeans legs filled with sand”. Works well. Very stable. Admittedly, it was with a 25-06, and no smoke was spewed forth, but it was still a stable rest.
-Red, wearing jorts now…

productimage5015_lrg_600_600.jpg

Another great 18th century rifle stabilizing idea.

How did the Colonials ever get by without Midway USA, Bass Pro and Cabela's.
They bought their fly swatters at Walmart...

You can make a rifle rest out most anything.

A block of wood and a bag with shot in it works well. A rolled up and taped bath towel works well.

And you won't be wasting money on gimmicks.
The range I go to supplies big heavy rubber , rifle rests. They allow you to stand at the 50 yard but not at 100.
I just use theirs, but if hunting I carry a long stick with a V at the top

a bag full of sand or something to support the forward hand. there have been a few people who have sighted in their rifles with the barrel on a rest and then had the group shift or open up once they shoot offhand. pressure on the barrel can change things.

I've used homemade sandbags made from the legs of cutoff jeans for decades. I get my wife to sew up one end, then full with sand and tie shut. I did go fancy and bought a Caldwell shooting bag a few years sgo when it was on sale. Still use the homemade ones too
Exactly what I did. Leg of a pair of jeans, only I just used zip ties. Works great. I also do have the first one the OP pictured and I like it

For me, it depends on what I am doing. I like the first rest for load development. thats just to take a little of me out of the equation finding the tightest groups. Once I know which load works best, I like to shoot standing freehand so that is how I will sight in. I don't like to sight in muzzleloaders on a rest unless that is how I will be shooting them for their use. I find the push from the shot to be very different so the point of impact may be different.

Like several others sharing here, dug out some nearly 50-year-old Realtree camo pants I had stuffed in the bottom of a closet, cut off the legs, had a big bag of fish aquarium fine rocks, sewed them into them and had an excellent bench rest. I use them at the range for testing loads, round ball patches and various lubes I’ve concocted for my MLs. Low tech, works great.

Last edited:
Or does anyone have any other recommendations?
The support itself can be whatever you come up with.
But;
The key is to not support the rifle barrel itself,, you should hold the rifle like your going to shoot it off hand,
And support your HAND.
If you sight resting the rifle on the support, then change to a different grip or hold of the rifle, your point of impact will be significantly different.

The support itself can be whatever you come up with.
But;
The key is to not support the rifle barrel itself,, you should hold the rifle like your going to shoot it off hand,
And support your HAND.
If you sight resting the rifle on the support, then change to a different grip or hold of the rifle, your point of impact will be significantly different.
Significantly is the operative word.

I have one rifle that produces a three inch difference in elevation between being bench rested and being handheld.

Latest posts

Back