• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps Carbine shooting rest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The translation appears to be (surprise!) "cartridge" and at least quasi-synonymous with "cartouche", although it appears that "gargousse" is more specifically applied to cannon where in English it would mean something like "load of gunpowder in an envelope (or bag)" -- or something like that. Such as "packaged charged". 😂 😂
Right... :D
A "gargousse" is a packaged powder charge, as well for a marine gun as for a land gun and even some weapons like Sharps...
The gargousse is inserted through the breech and, once the falling block is in place, the bullet is loaded through the muzzle. The loading is longer and more tedious but it allows to use important powder loads without having to pour the powder in bulk in the chamber...
We can also note that this method is also used by some with the 45-70-500 and even the 45-120-500 to have the case completely full and the bullet on top...

This appears to be a rather complete account of "gargousse" and its meaning. It makes me suspect (and this appears at one point in the text here), that "gargousse" = "cartouche grande", at least through much of its history.

Gargousse (gargousses)

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT A BREECH LOADING RIFLE< ITS NOT A MUZZLE LOADER :doh:

SOMETHING WRONG ?

- Some information for those interested in buying the 1859 Sharps (Be it from Chiappa or Pedersoli)
- Roundballs in a Sharps
- Chiappa 1859 Sharps
- Sharps carbine loading question
- Roundballs in a Sharps
And certainly more other that way : Search results for query: percussion sharps

All this with Zoonie's approval and agreement JUST BECAUSE IT'S A SHARPS and not something else : a Sharps loads as well by the mouth as by the breech and Zoonie had PERFECTLY EXPLAINED the reason of his agreement :

- 1) is Sharps allowed?.
- 2) - is Sharps allowed?.
Surprised that you don't know it since all the time you are on this forum, or you know things that Zoonie himself did not know, I'm curious about this...

Last edited:
If you want a lead sled, I’d suggest this model. I’ve had one for years, and never cracked a stock lol.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101827114?pid=452933
With the model you have, I assume I’d have to take the Sharps Carbine off the sled to drop the lever to reload. Would you think this is right?
I think I figured the lever drops 4” from its normal position & 1” below the bottom rear of the stock.

With the model you have, I assume I’d have to take the Sharps Carbine off the sled to drop the lever to reload. Would you think this is right?
I think I figured the lever drops 4” from its normal position & 1” below the bottom rear of the stock.
No, this design of lead sled has a double frame. Your lever fits between the 2 frames when dropped. And no, they don’t crack stocks.

1863 sharps ring tails from Steve Brooks mould

1646746814998.png

Both my Sharps have the Larry Flees mod and I also had Larry install a set of Rich Cross target sights. The military issue sights are really tough to shoot accurately.
Yea Charlie just did my block. First I just had him do the o-ring and chamber sleeve a few years ago. Was using permitex in the block. Finally decided to have him do the block also. The guy i got my Shiloh from did a front and rear sight.
he had a L machines to replace the existing slide. Pretty neat setup w the elevator down its 50 flip it up its 100 no messing w vertical adjustment. Could you post picture of the rich cross sight

After a month and a half of covid and no shooting, I just started again and I'm happy to see that my Sharps with paper cartridges still shoots so well at 50m [55 yards]...
I shot a 22LR 50m match target that is half the size of a normal 50m black powder target (11cm instead of 20cm).
One bullet seems to have come in a little crooked (leftover knot and paper?)
The shooter is not quite ready to tackle the 100m (and more) right now, but next time it will certainly be good, at least the rifle is capable, even if for the shooter it is another story...

Good day to you all.

Erwan.

(clic on picture ;) )

Sharps_papier.jpg

My only under lever is a 10/22. And my ARs with long mags.

But everything including a buddys win94 can be shot and worked with rest and bag up front and bag at rear You just need the height

A Caldwell sled works too but is harder to get good sight picture and cheekweld for me

Latest posts

Back