• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting High, Do I Need A New Front Sight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You bring up a valid point, where is the "point of aim", dead on or 6 o'clock hold.

20200310_152503.jpg
I'll take a look at the tang and bedding. The barrel seems secure when I use a small tool to hammer the wedge home.

I aim where I alway aim, I cut the target in half and aim at that point.

I do see a very small crack developing in the stock. There is no bedding compound. The barrel is tight to the wood. The 3 tang screws are tight.

Crack in the stock is not good, someone else will have to diagnose the cause of it and what it means to accuracy.

I had one stock like that, I repaired it, it's not hard to do.

Three (3) tang screws, mine have two (2).

Not sure what diameter target you are shooting, but if you use a 6 o'clock hold that will drop the point of impact down.

The tang that you have is the old style my friend. The middle screw does not screw into the stock. That middle screw is only a plug that can be removed to install a tang sight if so desired?

Your stock is also the older type as well! The lock bolt escutcheon has a lip on it that’s counter sunk into the stock.

The cracks in the lock bolt side of your lock panel is not the issue effecting your accuracy problem. The cracks are more than likely a direct result of someone over tightening the lock bolt thus creating excess pressure on the panel of your stock.

The lock bolt only needs to be lightly snug. People make the mistake of over tightening the lock bolt. Doesn’t need to be gorilla tight.

Anyway, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I noticed the barrel seems to be at a very slight cant higher than your tang? I’m looking at the pic you posted showing the lock bolt panel side. I could be wrong though!

If that’s the case, ease off the tang screw closest to the breech until barrel/breech are flush with tang where they mate.

Respectfully, Cowboy

We had the family over for a big bonfire tonight. Drinks and good memories.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll take a look at the tightness of screws tomorrow.

I had the same issue with my TC(about 40+years ago). Typical of the TC’s, the sights were set up for using Maxi-Balls which were slower, and impacted lower then a round ball. I just filed down my rear sight and reshaped the notch....is been nuts on ever since using 100gr FFG, .490 round ball, .015” patch.

You didn't specify the distance between your front and rear sights. Assuming as a guess 22 inches, your front sight would be approximately 9/64 inch too low (that's a lot).

Back