• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Williams fp sight help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think the sight looks too modern but I can't see well enough to not use it. I put it on a Investarms hawken and went to the range today. I'm shooting 8-10 inches high at 100 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. So I'm guessing I need to get a taller front sight. A quick measurement is showing .40 inches top of sight to top of dovetail. How tall of front sight would you guys suggest? How would you measure the dovetail for fitment?

Buy the .500 3/8 dovetail. It should leave you some room to adjust. There is a .450 front sight also available but I don't think it is going to give you what you want.

Call the Williams Sight Company and talk with one of their technicians. Before you call, take some measurements of the front sight height AND rear sight notch. You may have to get a new rear sight to match the front sight height. Be sure to explain the sight requirements are for a muzzle loading firearm with a straight wall barrel with no taper.
I put a set of Williams sights on my last build. This was done to make it easier for new shooters to line up the sights. I show new women shooters the fun of black powder and white smoke.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. Ordered a Skinner brass blade sight. One more question. What are the click values on the Williams FP?
Back to files again.

I've always set my rear sight as low as possible and zeroed the front sight at 25 yards.

And I never measured the movement per click on my 1894 Krag. It ain't much. Take her out and play with her.

Good luck, OP

I had Williams gun Smith's put a new front sight and FP peep sight on my TC Hawken. The front sight was too low and had to be exchanged for the .500 front sight. The marks on the peep are for reference only and don't relate to given distances.

I might be getting in this post somewhat late but here is my bit of info to share about my experience with the Williams FP sight. I'm getting into the long tooth age as well and my eye sight isn't what it used to be. I have a TC Hawken .50 that has a low serial number on it. Bought in early 70's . The only reason to mention the serial number is there might be a diff in number of tang holes in later models. Anyway, my Williams peep mounted on the 2 rear holes on the tang. I shot high at 25, 50, and 100 yards. The Peep was adjusted all the way down as well. Only a couple of options at that point to lower POI. I could mount the peep lower on the tang, or get a taller front sight. Didn't like the thought of the first option at all. So worked with Brian at Williams sight co. He is in service. Highly recommend this guy for questions on sighting. He recommended a taller front sight model Bead 538W #59081. .538" height. I pondered. I didn't like my options so I canned that project. It was just too high for me. Too much to snag on while bush whacking. But I'm pretty sure that height of front sight would have done the job and would have given some adjustment options for the rear sight as well as it was mounted on the bottom 2 screw holes on the tang.

So you might ask what did i do about a rear sight peep. Made one. There are some posts on this forum and others of hand made peeps. Simple to do for sure. And it works just fine. I have attached an image of one that is on the Hawken now.
IMG_5967.JPG

About two thirds down this page is page is a calculator for front sight height. It will tell you accurately how much yours needs to change. I would get the rear at least 1/3rd off bottoming out before determining the new front height though, you never know what will change with the load etc and I wouldn't want to start being basically out of adjustment by fitting a front with the rear bottomed out.

Back