• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps tang sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
Can a short or medium range tang sight for a Pedersoli Sharps that is adjustable for both windage and elevation be used at shorter distances like 50 yards ?

Can a short or medium range tang sight for a Pedersoli Sharps that is adjustable for both windage and elevation be used at shorter distances like 50 yards ?
It depends upon the front sight. The Soule sights are quite tall at the lowest setting so the front sight needs to be of a corresponding height...

Mine can be used at 50 to probably 1000 yards. The are Lee Shavers sights

Attachments

• 20210822_130039.jpg
    20210822_130039.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 90
It depends upon the front sight. The Soule sights are quite tall at the lowest setting so the front sight needs to be of a corresponding height...
Would the Soule sight work with the stock front sight ?

My situation is that I have a Pedersoli Sharps Carbine and my current range only has 50 & 100 yard targets. I got the windage set pretty good but at 50 yards it is shooting very high. I assume it’s set for around 200 yards . I’m hesitant to file down the front sight because I’m hoping to get access to a range with longer range targets:
I was thinking a tang sight might solve this .
$700 is more than I’m willing to pay for a sight at this time.

Maybe, but it will depend on the front sight height. The cheek weld to get on target at 50 yards might be a bit uncomfortable.
Better bet would be one of the midrange vernier sights from MVA.

Ok thanks … the windage was pretty simple …I got confused on the elevation.. that’s why I didn’t want to file anything …

It makes a lot of difference where on the tang or wrist of the rifle the peep site is installed. I installed one on my Hawken but didn't mount on the tang because just setting it on the tang would but my zero at over 100 yds. I moved it down on the wrist and it shoots great at 50 yds. I only use it on the bench so it doesn't interfere with the grip on the rifle.
Most of the folding veneer tang sites are too tall with the base and hinge to mount right behind the breech on most muzzleloaders. The short Lyman peep works great mounted on the tang.
Mike

Mine can be used at 50 to probably 1000 yards. The are Lee Shavers sights
Ron,is that his Economy or Deluxe Soule sight? Do you like it, his economy sights seem like a good deal. Is it good for hunting? Can't use irons anymore and need a sight for Hunting and long range target work. Thanks.

thanks for the input ..
That looks great and 50 to maybe 5-600 yards would be fine for the carbine. I asked about the tang because they look easy to install. There is so little black powder shooting where I am as far as I can tell , I can’t see anything actually being used . I gather what I can from videos and this forum so I stumble forward. I don’t know anyone who works on them here either so it’s sending them off and I prefer not to do that if I can do it any other way.

If they drilled and tapped the tang at the factory then mounting the tang sight is just a matter of removing the plug screws and installing the tang sight.
Where you may get into problems is if that front sight is silver soldered to the barrel, putting a taller front sight on may turn into a project. If it's dovetailed then a Lyman 17 or Marbles bead sight taller than your front sight with the metric dovetail base can be installed and a way you go.

I have a long range Pedersoli tang sight (holes are drilled and tapped at the factory to match their brand of tang sight) on my Sharps (34in barrel if I remember correctly). I immediately replaced the original front leaf with a Pedersoli tunnel sight with built in spirit level (one with replaceable inserts). With that tunnel sight it is possible to use even long range tang sight at point blank. It is possible to move the tang sight about 3~5 vernier lines below zero as there is a little bit of clearance.

If they drilled and tapped the tang at the factory then mounting the tang sight is just a matter of removing the plug screws and installing the tang sight.
Where you may get into problems is if that front sight is silver soldered to the barrel, putting a taller front sight on may turn into a project. If it's dovetailed then a Lyman 17 or Marbles bead sight taller than your front sight with the metric dovetail base can be installed and a way you go.
Pedersoli puts in screws for adding their tang sight so it’s simple to add one. I was hoping to add that and leave the front sight alone at this time. I was curious if anyone had done this and if the tang sight could be sighted in at 50 yards but still be adjusted for longer range shooting too. The front sight is NOT dovetailed so the potential problem you talk about exists.

The video doesn’t solve my wish for a good adjustable sight setup but it does talk about going from the stock 200 yard sighting to 50 yards .

I have a long range Pedersoli tang sight (holes are drilled and tapped at the factory to match their brand of tang sight) on my Sharps (34in barrel if I remember correctly). I immediately replaced the original front leaf with a Pedersoli tunnel sight with built in spirit level (one with replaceable inserts). With that tunnel sight it is possible to use even long range tang sight at point blank. It is possible to move the tang sight about 3~5 vernier lines below zero as there is a little bit of clearance.
Ok … how difficult was it to change the front sight from stock to the Pedersoli tunnel sight ? That was what I was hoping to have the option of doing at a future time.

BTW, does your tang sight allow you to run a patch Down the barrel without removing it . If you do remove it for cleaning or whatever do you have to readjust things again when you put it back on or do you just screw it back on the tang ?

Latest posts

Back