• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SHARON MUZZLE LOADER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a .54 Sharon Trade rifle at a gun show last year.

I couldn't believe how smooth the barrel was when I ran a patch through it at home. I don't know if it was lapped and polished by the previous owner, or they just came like that.

Regardless, it's at the Gunsmith now being turned into a one of a kind plains rifle. It will be my "go to" cap lock.

I can't wait.

Bet you guys would freak out if you went to eastern VA, NC or SC where they throw a pack of hounds out and run a deer all over the county before shooting at it... :) Different parts of this big country of ours use different techniques, part is tradition, part terrain and part just because that's how they prefer...The fact is, not all areas have the acreage or terrain to preform a spot and stalk...To each their own...Enjoy your new muzzleloader, hope you can bring one down so you have a nice ham to smoke for Thanksgiving or Christmas... :)
I would think that would effect the flavor of the meat adversely to stress the animal before the kill like that? I know here in the midwest a buck in rut is way worse eating than a doe.

Didn't say that at all and i envy you that you live off the land. I'm referring to the ones that take it, don't use it, then throw it out freezer burnt, usually to make room for the next batch. the ones that take a limit of fish, go home change shirts and go out for another limit.
I admire folks like you. I wish I could be more like that but the wife won't go for it. I grew up living off the land. The best years of my life.
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
Then I'm sorry I misunderstood the tone of your post.

Back to the original topic one more time. Did T/C ever use Sharon barrels? I have heard both yes and no on this. And if they did how do you identify the Sharon barrel?

Last edited:
SO, that would seem to me to be a clear indication of the person in the blind being an idiot, failing to identify their target properly. That is a first class idiot to me? What am I missing? :dunno:
Not sure what class these people belong in but…

“Between 2005 and 2015, there were a total of 38 deer hunting deaths in Pennsylvania. The majority of these deaths were due to firearm-related accidents, but other causes included falls, heart attacks, and drowning.”

Looks like nearly deaths 4 per year on average. The worst record in the US.

Wisconsin is one of the safest states to hunt.

“Wisconsin’s gun deer hunting season ended in peace for the first time since 1974. A statement from the Department of Natural Resources stated that 12 people had been injured. Wisconsin deer hunters have a lower rate of fatalities than those in other states during deer hunting seasons. The state averages one shooting death per year, while the national average is three.”

Interesting, the difference between perception and reality.

“Each year, approximately 120 people are killed by deer. According to the National Weather Service, there is a one in 1.4 million chance of being killed by an animal in the United States.”

Seems like the deer may be winning.

But on topic, I just picked up my third Sharon barrel. I have a 45, 50, and now a 54. They’re nice barrels and the price was right. I haven’t had a 54 ball shooter in a few years so I’m looking forward to seeing what it’ll do. Someone mentioned the smoothness of the bore. That’s a fact, these are all slick as a whistle…

Back to the original topic one more time. Did T/C ever use Sharon barrels? I have heard both yes and no on this. And if they did how do you identify the Sharon barrel?
The answer is maybe. Some recollections that T/C may have used barrels from some suppliers for the first very few barrels. There is no way to identify the maker of a T/C barrel. None of the inspection marks seen on the T/C barrels appear on Sharon marked barrels or other manufacturers.

This was posted a few days ago. And then there’s a thread here which may shed light…

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/tc-renegade-barrel-markings.152627/#post-2156584

13A68C61-8C04-4BAF-BBF5-F5F989F2AA95.jpeg

I have an early T/C that is marked Thompson/Center Arms Cal 50. Serial number 43xxx. No other markings on the barrel other than proof marks under barrel. Had heard that some Sharon barrels were used but nothing for sure.

You can go down the sharon rabbit hole on the various message boards using the search function. There's enough info about Sharon barrels to answer most questions.

Cliff notes: They are good. Get one if the opportunity presents itself.

Your

You're right about that.
Today is Wisconsins 2nd day of deer season. I didn't go because I still have some venison from last year. So no need to kill a deer just to kill it. ML season starts in a week I will be butchering hogs so will be busy. Yeah we do that at home in the shed. I do love being in the woods. I've been hunting with BP since 1973. Shot BP competition until 1978. Only firearm I hunt with is BP. Joined a bp club last month so back to competing again. Work got in the way for awhile. I build my own rifles too.
Just a quick background

I agree. I moved to Wisconsin 30 years ago and the first thing I noticed was the glutinous behavior towards wildlife. If they have 8 tags they fill them all and maybe one more for good measure. Then bad mouth the dnr for no deer the following year. Same thing with fishing. Thump their chest and say "me great white hunter"
Not everybody, not even close. Yes, there are a fair number of those that fit the given description, but not everyone.

Latest posts

Back