• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharon Full stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a new to me Sharon Full stock. I have been looking for a Half Stock for awhile, came across this one in full stock and could not resist.
20230915_170346.jpg
20230915_170324.jpg
20230915_170259.jpg
20230915_170254.jpg

It was left on my back porch, on the edge of the deck, not under the covered, area in the rain. Was wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and one layer of cardboard. The hammer was sticking out and top of the cardboard wrap. I am sure glad it had a fragile sticker on it....
20230916_133604.jpg

(Picture of $50 shipping container)
It is in one piece but did have a few bumps and bruises.
This is my first full-stock and after taking it all apart and cleaning and oiling everything, I believe it is going to be a keeper!

Very nice looking rifle, the way it was pack it is amazing no damage.
I will say the worst packaging job I have ever seen. I told them I would pay extra if they would take extra care in packing it. I paid extra for "packing supplies" I guess their standard packing is just a stamp... it was from a mom and pop auction site, so I guess they did the best they could. I feel very lucky it wasn't broke in half.

Fullstocked Hawkens are cool. James Clyman and Jim Waters, old-time beaver men, both carried them, as did John Brown, the Mormon pioneer, who carried his across the plains between Missouri and Utah thirteen times! From a historical perspective, you’ll be in good company.

Sharon barrels and completed rifles were very highly regarded in their day. If I’m seeing that image of the barrel stamp correctly, it looks like .50 caliber, so it’s likely to have some weight to it. However, the originals were heavy, too. Your shooting experience will be very authentic!

That is a very nice rifle. It is disgraceful the way packages are handled these days. I also received a package with an identical FRAGILE sticker just last week. The whole end of the box was stove in, the FRAGILE sticker along with it. I don’t know how the contents (a glass oil lamp for my wife’s birthday) escaped total destruction, but somehow it did.

Sorry about the digression. I’m a long-time Hawken fan, and what you have there is one of the very best of the “modern” reproductions. Good for you!

Notchy Bob

Fullstocked Hawkens are cool. James Clyman and Jim Waters, old-time beaver men, both carried them, as did John Brown, the Mormon pioneer, who carried his across the plains between Missouri and Utah thirteen times! From a historical perspective, you’ll be in good company.

Sharon barrels and completed rifles were very highly regarded in their day. If I’m seeing that image of the barrel stamp correctly, it looks like .50 caliber, so it’s likely to have some weight to it. However, the originals were heavy, too. Your shooting experience will be very authentic!

That is a very nice rifle. It is disgraceful the way packages are handled these days. I also received a package with an identical FRAGILE sticker just last week. The whole end of the box was stove in, the FRAGILE sticker along with it. I don’t know how the contents (a glass oil lamp for my wife’s birthday) escaped total destruction, but somehow it did.

Sorry about the digression. I’m a long-time Hawken fan, and what you have there is one of the very best of the “modern” reproductions. Good for you!

Notchy Bob
Thank you Notchy Bob. I have always been a huge fan of the half stocks. After handling this one I hate that I bought it. Because now I'm going to be looking at them a lot harder and will probably end up with another one. The same reason that I'm afraid to buy a Flintlock.... Yes, Sharon is on my buy it if you see it list. Within reason.. this one is balanced pretty well so the weight is no more than any other .50. They are all heavy, it is not a problem for now. I do often wonder how they hauled these guns over mountains for years back in the day.

Thank you Notchy Bob. I have always been a huge fan of the half stocks. After handling this one I hate that I bought it. Because now I'm going to be looking at them a lot harder and will probably end up with another one. The same reason that I'm afraid to buy a Flintlock.... Yes, Sharon is on my buy it if you see it list. Within reason.. this one is balanced pretty well so the weight is no more than any other .50. They are all heavy, it is not a problem for now. I do often wonder how they hauled these guns over mountains for years back in the day.
Well they were a lot tougher then us modern guys. That is a very nice rifle and I hope you enjoy it. Congrats.

Here is a new to me Sharon Full stock. I have been looking for a Half Stock for awhile, came across this one in full stock and could not resist. View attachment 253368View attachment 253369View attachment 253370View attachment 253371
It was left on my back porch, on the edge of the deck, not under the covered, area in the rain. Was wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and one layer of cardboard. The hammer was sticking out and top of the cardboard wrap. I am sure glad it had a fragile sticker on it....View attachment 253372
(Picture of $50 shipping container)
It is in one piece but did have a few bumps and bruises.
This is my first full-stock and after taking it all apart and cleaning and oiling everything, I believe it is going to be a keeper!
Crockford you scored !
Looks like a very nice quality build .
The guns I built with Sharon barrels produced top notch accuracy.

Crockford you scored !
Looks like a very nice quality build .
The guns I built with Sharon barrels produced top notch accuracy.
I am looking forward to shooting it and hunting with it this year. I have a Seneca that has a .36 Sharon and it shoots very well.
I don't just put my guns in a safe. I think that does a dishonor to the maker and the person who owned them before me. I fill like it helps keep the previous owners spirit alive when the gun is used for its intended purpose. It's just passing through my hands like it did theirs. I am very thankful to own it for now and hopefully pass it on to next when that day comes.

I am looking forward to shooting it and hunting with it this year. I have a Seneca that has a .36 Sharon and it shoots very well.
I don't just put my guns in a safe. I think that does a dishonor to the maker and the person who owned them before me. I fill like it helps keep the previous owners spirit alive when the gun is used for its intended purpose. It's just passing through my hands like it did theirs. I am very thankful to own it for now and hopefully pass it on to next when that day comes.
We have similar mindsets :thumb:
Over the past several decades I've shot mostly original flint & perc. firearms, they continue to serve their intended purpose..

That was built about ten miles north of me, and I most likely knew or know the builder. A lot of the old timers are dead now.

The worst packaging I saw, was Craig Boddinton had found a left hand P.O. Ackley bolt action receiver in Japan. He shipped it in a plain manila envelope! The envelope was in shreds when it got to me. Bolt sticking out the side, most of the action exposed. I have no idea how it made it all the way, and why on earth he sent it in an envelope

I will say the worst packaging job I have ever seen. I told them I would pay extra if they would take extra care in packing it. I paid extra for "packing supplies" I guess their standard packing is just a stamp... it was from a mom and pop auction site, so I guess they did the best they could. I feel very lucky it wasn't broke in half.
I hope you sent a picture of the package as it arrived. They might be able to learn from their mistakes…

That was built about ten miles north of me, and I most likely knew or know the builder. A lot of the old timers are dead now.

The worst packaging I saw, was Craig Boddinton had found a left hand P.O. Ackley bolt action receiver in Japan. He shipped it in a plain manila envelope! The envelope was in shreds when it got to me. Bolt sticking out the side, most of the action exposed. I have no idea how it made it all the way, and why on earth he sent it in an envelope
Of all the people who would know better, right?

It wasn't so much that the mountain men were tough enough to carry such heavy rifles. It was up to their horse or mule to carry the burden. Then they relied on cross sticks or some support when aiming.
When father-time started kicking my wannabe mountain man carcass, short & lightweight big bore Jeagers became my best friend.

Back