• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shaping a powder horn...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I made a couple of new powder horns recently from raw horns as opposed to a pre-fitted kit. My earliest attempt at horn making was decades ago and long before we had the knowledge of the internet to call upon. Somewhere I got the notion that to make a horn pliable and fit the base plug it was necessary to boil the horn in water. Well, needless to say, that did not turn out very well. I ended up carving the base to fit the horn.

This time around I did a little on-line research and discovered that horn doesn't become pliable until it get over 230 F. Water only get to 212 F . Heating the horn in vegetable oil did the trick - and quickly too. First, I turned a tapered shaping plug the only purpose of which was to force the softened horn round and uniform. Once the horn was round, fitting the permanent plug became quite easy.

The buffalo horn was intended to go along with the newly finished full stock Hawken and It will hold nearly a full pound of powder - in case of attack by hostiles...

upload_2019-1-14_21-0-44.png

I made a couple of new powder horns recently from raw horns as opposed to a pre-fitted kit. My earliest attempt at horn making was decades ago and long before we had the knowledge of the internet to call upon. Somewhere I got the notion that to make a horn pliable and fit the base plug it was necessary to boil the horn in water. Well, needless to say, that did not turn out very well. I ended up carving the base to fit the horn.

This time around I did a little on-line research and discovered that horn doesn't become pliable until it get over 230 F. Water only get to 212 F . Heating the horn in vegetable oil did the trick - and quickly too. First, I turned a tapered shaping plug the only purpose of which was to force the softened horn round and uniform. Once the horn was round, fitting the permanent plug became quite easy.

The buffalo horn was intended to go along with the newly finished full stock Hawken and It will hold nearly a full pound of powder - in case of attack by hostiles...

View attachment 3073
Tom,
Thanks so much for the info !!
I have more than a few horn projects to tackle and the oil trick will help a great deal.
Let me ask you this: Under the influence of the heated oil do you think that you could add a cant to the horn that was not originally there?
What I mean is do you think that you could torque the horn in such a way that it would fit the under arm area better then it was before heat treating?

Tom,

Let me ask you this: Under the influence of the heated oil do you think that you could add a cant to the horn that was not originally there?
What I mean is do you think that you could torque the horn in such a way that it would fit the under arm area better then it was before heat treating?

If you mean to change a horn that grew on the left side of the cow to curl and twist like a right side horn, I suspect not. The wall thickness at the base is quite thin and easily shaped. The wall near the tip is usually quite thick and rigid. If you mean to add curvature, that might be possible, but I would be careful not to cause the inside radius to cave in and buckle. An internal form might be needed for support.

If you mean to change a horn that grew on the left side of the cow to curl and twist like a right side horn, I suspect not. The wall thickness at the base is quite thin and easily shaped. The wall near the tip is usually quite thick and rigid. If you mean to add curvature, that might be possible, but I would be careful not to cause the inside radius to cave in and buckle. An internal form might be needed for support.
Tom,
I was suggesting giving the horn a slight twist from tip to base but as you mention it probably would cause it to buckle.
I just have a bunch of horns that are just boring looking and would sit better against the body if they had that twist

Tom,
I was suggesting giving the horn a slight twist from tip to base...
Horn is flexible when heated, but not quite that flexible...
Are these finished (powder) horns or "raw"? If "raw", straight horns a great for crafts such as cups, salt horns, combs, spoons, etc.

Horn is flexible when heated, but not quite that flexible...
Are these finished (powder) horns or "raw"? If "raw", straight horns a great for crafts such as cups, salt horns, combs, spoons, etc.
Hand,
If "raw" you mean still bloody and not far from the cow, then it would be a solid NO.
Some are garage sale tourist souvenirs, others are from Tandy that are un-polished but don't seem to have enough "meat" on them to pull too many tricks on that they would survive.
I was thinking that they may be better suited becoming "bait" and "tinder" horns possibly mug.
Unless you may have a better suggestion(s) as I would love to recover something of my investment if only in the experience of making "lemonade" out of "lemons".
Mostly because I chose the wrong horns to make the type on powder horn I's like to have.

Hand,
If "raw" you mean still bloody and not far from the cow, then it would be a solid NO.
Some are garage sale tourist souvenirs, others are from Tandy that are un-polished but don't seem to have enough "meat" on them to pull too many tricks on that they would survive.
I was thinking that they may be better suited becoming "bait" and "tinder" horns possibly mug.
Unless you may have a better suggestion(s) as I would love to recover something of my investment if only in the experience of making "lemonade" out of "lemons".
Mostly because I chose the wrong horns to make the type on powder horn I's like to have.
"Raw" as in not made into anything yet....

Fill the horn with sand,heat, and then try reshaping it a little at a time. The sand will compress slowly under pressure and keep the internal volume the same.

Fill the horn with sand,heat, and then try reshaping it a little at a time. The sand will compress slowly under pressure and keep the internal volume the same.
Kat,
That a good idea, I've heard that same method used in setting the coil for a still.
Do you think in the case of the horn the sand should be heated ?

I have made a Salt horn, a Rum horn, a spoon, a comb, the handle for my friction-folder and a thread-winder so far (in addition to a few powder horns).
I do need salt and spice horns, I have a horn Spoon but a larger one might be nice, Thanks for the ideas!!
Would a bowl be HC?

I do need salt and spice horns, I have a horn Spoon but a larger one might be nice, Thanks for the ideas!!
Would a bowl be HC?
I've seen a few horn bowls but don't remember where or to what period they belonged. For a bowl, you might be better served by making one from a gourd. I also have a small gourd for salt which holds 1/2-3/4 cup sea salt. Don't forget - cane also makes a nice (and period) container (I use cane containers for red pepper, maple sugar and tooth powder).

Tom,
I'm also partial to flat horns. Ever made one?

Not yet. But I've been thinking about making one. Need a suitable horn. My mental fabrication plan involves making a wooden internal shaping form, heating the horn, insert the form and then clamp the horn between two boards and compress with C clamps. The internal form will help maintain a uniform flat profile.

Not yet. But I've been thinking about making one. Need a suitable horn. My mental fabrication plan involves making a wooden internal shaping form, heating the horn, insert the form and then clamp the horn between two boards and compress with C clamps. The internal form will help maintain a uniform flat profile.
You nailed it!
Book of Buskinning III has a segment on on it.
I also found plans for a press on line.
Do you happen to know the history of flat horns?

I've seen a few horn bowls but don't remember where or to what period they belonged. For a bowl, you might be better served by making one from a gourd. I also have a small gourd for salt which holds 1/2-3/4 cup sea salt. Don't forget - cane also makes a nice (and period) container (I use cane containers for red pepper, maple sugar and tooth powder).
Cane?
I'll have to harvest some river cane to mess around with.
I miss having the birch we had to work with back east. So many uses

Back