• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shaping a powder horn...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RickPa,
Thank you for the info/links and that even more so for referring to the Scottish people correctly as Scots and not Scotch (which, although a fine product of the Scots is whiskey and not the people themselves!!).
I winced the other day while reading the Sons of the Trackless Forest when Baker referred to frontier folk of Welsh and Scotch descent...

RickPa,
Thank you for the info/links and that even more so for referring to the Scottish people correctly as Scots and not Scotch (which, although a fine product of the Scots is whiskey and not the people themselves!!).
I winced the other day while reading the Sons of the Trackless Forest when Baker referred to frontier folk of Welsh and Scotch descent...

Aye, Scotch is a bonnie drink. My mothers family (Harper) is Scots. A sept of Clan Buchanan from the Argyle district. I've made a couple of flat horns using a deep fryer with hot oil. Now if I could just find a Murdoch pistol with engraved frame I'd be a happy camper.

RickPa,
I wonder if we have the history of that usage just right. I have a lot of items collected from 18th and early 19th century writings which use 'Scotch' to refer to the people and also to describe many other things. They seemed to have no problem using it that way, although the more modern usage is also occasionally found. That's true throughout the whole period.

1734 scotch cloth
1735 Scotch lass
1735 Irishmen Servants, both talking broad Scotch
1739 EXCEEDING good Scotch snuff
1751 Robert Crocket, a Scotch man
1751 Alexander Selkirk , a Scotsman
1763 speaks a good deal on the Scotch Dialect
1765 the SCOTCH STONE
1766 a Scotch Servant Woman
1770 Scotch convict servant
1773 Scotch leather inkpots
1774 Scotch snuff
1775 speaks some words in the Scottish idiom
1775 low cunning, and Scots revenge
1776 Scots and Nuns thread
1776 Alexander McCraw a Scotchman
1776 scotch bonnet
1776 Scotch flannel jacket
1782 says he is a Scotchman
1840 nothing like Scotch woolen stuffs
1841 “Scottish Dictionary and Supplement: In Four Volumes. A-Kut, Volume 1”

What seems a significant one to me is by Wm. Blane, a well-educated world traveling Englishman who spent a couple of years in this country, along the Ohio Valley, and got to know the people very well. I would think he would know if the use of 'Scotch' to describe the people was frowned upon.

Wm. Blane, 1822 : [White River, in Indiana] "Upon inquiring of the ferrymen, if there were any house in the neighbourhood at which I could stop, they informed me that there was only one, which belonged to a Scotch gentleman who had lately settled in this part of the country..…"

Spence

Aye, Scotch is a bonnie drink. My mothers family (Harper) is Scots. A sept of Clan Buchanan from the Argyle district. I've made a couple of flat horns using a deep fryer with hot oil. Now if I could just find a Murdoch pistol with engraved frame I'd be a happy camper.
RickPa,
I'm not sure why but I was always partial to the flat horns, plain or elaborate and I'm the furthest thing from a Scot!! LOL
The Commodore had a Murdoch for sale in the classifieds that he re-vamped if I recall.
Again, I'm partial to those pistols as well!!

I wonder if we have the history of that usage just right. I have a lot of items collected from 18th and early 19th century writings which use 'Scotch' to refer to the people and also to describe many other things. They seemed to have no problem using it that way, although the more modern usage is also occasionally found. That's true throughout the whole period.

1734 scotch cloth
1735 Scotch lass
1735 Irishmen Servants, both talking broad Scotch
1739 EXCEEDING good Scotch snuff
1751 Robert Crocket, a Scotch man
1751 Alexander Selkirk , a Scotsman
1763 speaks a good deal on the Scotch Dialect
1765 the SCOTCH STONE
1766 a Scotch Servant Woman
1770 Scotch convict servant
1773 Scotch leather inkpots
1774 Scotch snuff
1775 speaks some words in the Scottish idiom
1775 low cunning, and Scots revenge
1776 Scots and Nuns thread
1776 Alexander McCraw a Scotchman
1776 scotch bonnet
1776 Scotch flannel jacket
1782 says he is a Scotchman
1840 nothing like Scotch woolen stuffs
1841 “Scottish Dictionary and Supplement: In Four Volumes. A-Kut, Volume 1”

What seems a significant one to me is by Wm. Blane, a well-educated world traveling Englishman who spent a couple of years in this country, along the Ohio Valley, and got to know the people very well. I would think he would know if the use of 'Scotch' to describe the people was frowned upon.

Wm. Blane, 1822 : [White River, in Indiana] "Upon inquiring of the ferrymen, if there were any house in the neighbourhood at which I could stop, they informed me that there was only one, which belonged to a Scotch gentleman who had lately settled in this part of the country..…"

Spence
Spence,
Just my assumption, but that usage may either be the way it was written by folks of other than a Celtic background an using a common mis-reference.
Remember, the British considered the Irish and Scots "lesser" men.
Funny how when we step away from modern modes of prejudice that there is plenty within the same races.
The Japanese considered just about all other Asians to be "lesser" men then they were and slaughtered them wholesale until they ran into the Mongols...

George

Looking thru your list, it looks to me like the word SCOT or SCOTS is used to describe an individual or a group of them.

The word SCOTCH is used to describe something made or used by them.

If this is true we might say the horn was a Scotch horn owned by a Scot or, "Several Scots sit at the bench and thoroughly enjoyed drinking their Scotch. ;)

Looking thru your list, it looks to me like the word SCOT or SCOTS is used to describe an individual or a group of them.
But there are two Scotchmen in the list.

"1776 Alexander McCraw a Scotchman
1782 says he is a Scotchman"

Spence

THANK YOU, SPENCE!

The Scots who transplanted to Ulster, Ireland, in the 17th century, referred to themselves as Ulster Scots. Their offspring who emigrated to the American colonies in the 18th century, referred to themselves as Scotch-Irish. And they drank/made RYE whiskey.

Richard/Grumpa - descended from Irish and Scotch-Irish forebears

Their offspring who emigrated to the American colonies in the 18th century, referred to themselves as Scotch-Irish.
That's true, but the term was used much earlier than that. In a letter written by Queen Elizabeth I on April 15, 1573....

"We are given to understand that a nobleman named 'Sorley Boy' [MacDonnel] and others, who be of the Scotch-Irish race..."

Spence

Going back even further in history the Romans, during their occupation of Britain, referred to the raiders from Hibernia ( Ireland ) as Scotii. These Scotii later emigrated to Caledonia ( Scotland ) and displaced the native Picts, the Painted People. The Scotii called their native land Eire and themselves as Eireish. Their adopted land was called Alba. Today the countries are called Ireland and Scotland. Alba Gu Bragh!!

Back