• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Search for Trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok! I am willing to concede that as a general rule, trade guns did not have slings mounted on them. But I will maintain that it is possible and likely that someone....somewhere.... spanning the entire north American continent over a period of 300 years, did mount one permanently.
:grin:

colorado clyde said:
Artificer said:
colorado clyde said:
History is full of facts that change over time.
It is possible for something to physically exist and be known to be true without tangible evidence.
This has been proven time and time again

We are limited by our understanding of the evidence ....not the lack of it.....

If that has been proven time and time again, then I'm sure you can give at least a few examples AND how it would pertain to Trade Guns?

Gus
Oxygen and microbes would be good examples.... their existence was know before they could be positively identified..

Both of those are examples of things the human eye could not see without the aid of a microscope or other experiment or scientific device.

I do not see any way those examples can be used to explain why no slings have been documented for Trade guns, as slings could easily have been seen in the period by the human eye. Or am I missing something?

Gus

colorado clyde said:
Ok! I am willing to concede that as a general rule, trade guns did not have slings mounted on them. But I will maintain that it is possible and likely that someone....somewhere.... spanning the entire north American continent over a period of 300 years, did mount one permanently.

Ah, beginning to understand the power of the Historical Documentation Force, you are, young Clydewalker!! Now attention you must pay to Masters Luke, Rich, Elnathan and others to complete your training.... :rotf:

Sorry, I am in a silly mood tonight for some reason. Please believe me I am making fun of myself as well, as I have learned a lot from those "Masters" myself. :grin: :wink: :grin:

Gus

I do not see any way those examples can be used to explain why no slings have been documented for Trade guns, as slings could easily have been seen in the period by the human eye. Or am I missing something?

Sounds like you're asking why there's no documentation for something being undocumented. or that you want documentation proving that it is undocumented and cannot be documented :youcrazy:

I'm going to need more beer for that one... :haha:

Artificer said:
colorado clyde said:

Ah, beginning to understand the power of the Historical Documentation Force, you are, young Clydewalker!! Now attention you must pay to Masters Luke, Rich, Elnathan and others to complete your training.... :rotf:

Sorry, I am in a silly mood tonight for some reason. Please believe me I am making fun of myself as well, as I have learned a lot from those "Masters" myself. :grin: :wink: :grin:

Gus
:rotf: :rotf: :bow: :bow: :surrender:

That was worth the price of admission. :hatsoff:

colorado clyde said:

Sounds like you're asking why there's no documentation for something being undocumented. or that you want documentation proving that it is undocumented and cannot be documented :youcrazy:

I'm going to need more beer for that one... :haha:

OK, ok, I just HAVE to ask. I wonder what you answered when asked in school if a tree fell and hit the ground in the forest, and there is no one to hear it, does the tree make a sound when hitting the ground? :grin:

Gus

OK, ok, I just HAVE to ask. I wonder what you answered when asked in school if a tree fell and hit the ground in the forest, and there is no one to hear it, does the tree make a sound when hitting the ground?

Gus

YES !
Perception cannot alter physical events ....only how we view them.

colorado clyde said:
OK, ok, I just HAVE to ask. I wonder what you answered when asked in school if a tree fell and hit the ground in the forest, and there is no one to hear it, does the tree make a sound when hitting the ground?

Gus

YES !
Perception cannot alter physical events ....only how we view them.

Thank you, you just made my point.

Gus

Some would hypothesize that a tree does or does not make a sound if no one is there to hear it..

But, it's easy to prove that it does without being there.

colorado clyde said:
That we have different perceptions of unknown events???

The physical events as to whether Trade Guns had sling swivels when manufactured or added later, are known not to have been done/added, from the historic evidence. (Yes, I am leaving the door open in case someone discovers a rare exception to the rule.)

Perceptions vary as to the reasons why permanent sling swivels were not added to Trade Guns.

Gus

Artificer said:
colorado clyde said:

The physical events as to whether Trade Guns had sling swivels when manufactured or added later, are known not to have been done/added, from the known historic evidence. (Yes, I am leaving the door open in case someone discovers a rare exception to the rule.)

Perceptions vary as to the reasons why permanent sling swivels were not added to Trade Guns.

Gus

By adding one word your statement is acceptable
Do you agree?

colorado clyde said:
Artificer said:
colorado clyde said:

The physical events as to whether Trade Guns had sling swivels when manufactured or added later, are known not to have been done/added, from the known historic evidence. (Yes, I am leaving the door open in case someone discovers a rare exception to the rule.)

Gus

By adding one word your statement is acceptable
Do you agree?

Absolutely.
Gus

colorado clyde said:
Some would hypothesize that a tree does or does not make a sound if no one is there to hear it..

But, it's easy to prove that it does without being there.
Ah no, sound happens in our brain. Sound energy is produced, but until someone hears it there is no sound. The whole cat in the ox that's not dead or alive until you open the box.
I am put in mind of when people started wearing neck knifes. It was wondered if that was hc. Then a painting was found of an Indian with a neck knife on then boom neck knifes were all the rage. What would have happened if he didn't put it on thatday, or was out of the village when the painter came through? Our best doccumintation is but a match stuck in a cave.

The perception of no sound when a tree falls in the forest, also demands there is no animal life in or near the forest to hear it.

Neck knives are far different from Trade Muskets where orders, inventories, and other documentation is available to examine, besides the original guns extant.

Gus

Well we sure showed that we can spend a lot of time and words proving nothing and convincing no one that our interpretations of historical facts are correct. :yakyak:

I suppose that is the fun of it. :idunno:

Shucks, now I have lost track of my Angel count. I hate when I get distracted. Where is that pin! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back