• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Fowler / Trade gun question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen E.

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Yep.... I did it.....
I purchased a Trade gun from Veteran Arms instead of Pedersoli....
But here's the reason, followed by my question :

I am a member of an SAR Honor Guard for our local Chapter and we do a couple parades a year, set up a booth once or twice a year, and fire at Grave markings a couple times a year.
Never with live rounds, only powder.
I didn't need a flintlock to hunt or compete, just for Ceremonial use.
My Patriot was Militia and that is how I dress for our Ceremonials, therefore a Trade gun was my choice.

The musket goes Boom when it needs too, and I have no complaints in that regard.
But boy, to pull back the cock to set it for fire is fierce.
Just so darn difficult to set to fire on Command 'Make Ready!'.

What, (if anything) can I do to correct this?
Is there something I could do or am I looking at finding a gunsmith ?

Appreciate worthwhile comments, and have already been told 'you get what you pay for' so.....
Thanks !

Sounds like you have a very heavy mainspring.A good gunsmith who works with traditional guns could easily fix it, but modern gunsmiths could do more harm than good. I had a friend who would buy low cost traditional guns and then take them to his local gun store to have them worked on and they often made them worse, Then he would bring them to me to get fixed right.

Could be the strength of the mainspring, could be rough surfaces giving friction, could need lube, could be an inletting problem hindering movement of internals or the cock. Likely several factors are at work.

Back