• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish Snaphaunce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The traditional method of removing a load from a barrel involves using a wooden dowel or brass cleaning rod to push the ball out. It's essential to use a material that won't damage the barrel. You can lubricate the barrel and gently tap the dowel or rod with a hammer to ease the process.
Another method involves removing the nipple and replacing it with a grease zerk fitting. This allows you to use a grease gun to apply pressure and force the ball out.
Some have also used a battery drill with a small drill bit to carefully drill out the center of the bullet, making it easier to remove with a wooden dowel.
Always approach this situation with care and patience. If you're unsure or uncomfortable with any of these methods, consult a professional gunsmith to ensure safety.

Quite how Ime linked to the above ? No Idea . But I am familiar with such guns and made enough to have some clues . The point about it having a Spanish Barrel well that 's sound. I came by a barrel by Allonzo Martinez he died 1720 if I recall correctly. (See Lavin or Kieth Neal's works .) it was in a very ropey Omani stocked matchlock but the barrel still excellent bore considering . its at least three hundred years old .Bowled a bunny with it .I not the most useful for general use .But still good, its a 12 but I loaded for a 20 bore ,What some Omani used ,cant say but reuse is pretty universal . All interesting stuff bar the faffing about with the stuck ball. Do I think its Scots or Right ? cant say but still interesting gun lock looks too clean & sharp but any ones guess .
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Back