• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish Snaphaunce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. This gun was recently aquired by a collector friend. Later half of the 17th Century Scottish Snaphaunce musket.
AND, there is a load in the barrel :shocked2:
Since he is a muzzle loading shooter he said the metal ramrod goes down the barrel all but about 2" in front of the vent hole. He also said it has the unmistakable feel/sound of iron against lead. Of course it may just be an obstruction, but the circumstances do indicate the possibility of a load still being in the barrel.
My question is: We know the traditional way to remove the ball. But, are there any other methods anyone might suggest? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Rick.
musket2Medium.jpg

musket1Medium.jpg

Blow it out with a pneumatic unloading device? I'm very curious to know what was in there. Could you unload it over a sheet to collect and weigh what comes out? Lots of photos. Thanks!

IF......You choose to pull the ball I would suggest to soak the bore very good first. That
would make drawing the ball out much easier
than say a dry ball...They have a tendency to stay stuck. Probably a ball and some wading on
top the powder...Very intersting...
Wulf

I know there is a pneumatic un-loader for percussion guns. But for a flintlock, wouldn't you have to make a tap in the vent hole? Also, I wonder if it would work with the assumed powder blocking the way?
Oh yes. I told him to make sure he captures everything in the bore. And put in plastic bags and take good photos. He did just send me additional photos of the gun if interested.
But yes, can't wait to see whats in that barrel. Rick.

Hi Wulf!! Want to "try" to get it out dry if possible so as not to wet the powder or any wadding. But, will probably have to lube the bore first as you say. If it's a load, it's probably been in there over 200 years. He is going about this in a slow, methodical way. We want to try to save everything we can. This should be ultra-interesting. Rick.

Metal ramrod?

That was my thought also. But he says it appears to be original to the gun. And the photos seem to bear this out. Here are some additional photos. DARN. Wish I had seen this gun first. :bow:

musket4Medium.jpg

musket3Medium.jpg

musket13Medium.jpg

musket7Medium.jpg

musket12Medium.jpg

musket11Medium.jpg

musket15Medium.jpg

musket6Medium.jpg

musket8Medium.jpg

musket5Medium.jpg

musket9Medium.jpg

musket10Medium.jpg

:slap: Hey Rick, how about some specs? barrel length, calibre, weight, ect. Looks real cool and right up your alley too. That lock looks exceptionally long even for a snaphaunce. You should try to get your friend on the forum as well. I just love seeing what you collectors come up with. Whats the provenance for it being Scottish? Does he have paperwork or is it just a recognized style?
:doh: I have so much to learn it gives me a headache :doh:

:slap: Hey Rick, how about some specs? barrel length, calibre, weight, ect. Looks real cool and right up your alley too. That lock looks exceptionally long even for a snaphaunce. You should try to get your friend on the forum as well. I just love seeing what you collectors come up with. Whats the provenance for it being Scottish? Does he have paperwork or is it just a recognized style?
:doh: I have so much to learn it gives me a headache :doh:

Hi Andy!! Yes, this is a really cool gun. And, if there is a load in the barrel, so much the better. The owner actually lives in Scotland, so this is a double trat for him.
One expert in Europe says it's second half of the 17th Century but the barrel could be older. Photos are being sent to an expert on early Scottish arms.
I already asked him the questions you pose above. Still waiting for a response. I'm sure he's "deeply involved" with extracting that load. :haha: I don't blame him. Will keep you posted as soon as I hear anything else. And, I'll try to get him to join the Forum. Rick.

I'm struck by a couple details at the front of the lock: the filework on the hammer (is that the correct term on a snaphaunce?) spring and the rather delicate looking bridle. Really nice little details. :bow:

Leave it loaded! The load is of little danger, and a gun with an old load has a higher collector value.

Hello again. Well, here's an update:
This is the first item to come out of the bore. It was sitting on top of what we think is the lead ball. It's very old flax or tow with small bits of old hard greese. One theory is this wad may have been placed on top of the load to act as a moisture repellent? Hmmmm :hmm:
The owner now says you can definately feel the metal ramrod against what feels/sounds like soft lead. He is taking our advise and will try to extract the load first with compressed air. One of the guys in his Club has the tool as shown above. Since there seems to be powder behind the ball (not dry ball) the powder may work as a blockage making the air less effective? But he will try that first. If that fails, he's making a Chinese Hammer type devise to extract the ball from the muzzle. This is getting more interesting all the time. I'll keep everyone up-dated as progess continues. Thanks, Rick.
MusketWadMedium.jpg

i gotta say this is one of the most interesting threads going at the moment. i been following since you first posted.

the shreds ya have there probably acted as an over shot wad or an over ball wad to prevent the shot/ball from coming loose and traveling down the barrel.

having powder under the ball will not hinder the CO2 puller from working, i have used CO2 pullers many times on fully loaded rifles. tell him to be carefull, what ever is in that barrel will come out VERY fast with some decent force when the CO2 is applied. have him point the gun into a very soft folded blanket to protect the contents. ive seen balls travel over 25 yards from a CO2 discharge.

keep us posted, im very excited to see what comes out!

-Matt

Hi Matt. Thanks for your advise. I emailed your comments. It's about mid-afternoon there. YES!!
Can't wait to see what comes out. Thanks again, Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Doc. No, no word yet. :idunno: If I don't hear from him in another week, I'll email him again. It's frustrating because I'm so anxious. Rick.

Back