• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Scammed also.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious what are the protections and fees on personal checks nowadays?
My checking account costs me $2 per month. I do 99% of payments on line via the bank's web site. Payments to larger outfits usually go by EFT. The bank prepares and mails a paper check to smaller payees. I can see and even print a photo of the cancelled paper checks on line. There are fees for other services, such as stopping payment or over night mailing. Since I have yet to need them I don't know how much they are.
The checks I purchased years ago cost me, but Lord only knows how much. Guess I'll find out if I run out.
If someone cashes my check and says they did not receive the money the bank intervenes very assertively. And the cancelled check is proof of payment if courts or law enforcement need to be invoked.

I FIND that getting a telephone number and a street address stems off the scumbags..and if your really worried get email and a copy of drivers license numbers blacked out that matches the address to where your sending the money..if you get ripped off call the police in there home town.They will visit

I miss the days of the Italian Mafia
You
The problem with a personal check is they then have your account number and bank routing number.
A service like PayPal that will hold your funds, tell the seller the funds are standing by, and wait for your OK that you received the item before releasing the funds would be ideal...,

But (iirc) PayPal will drop you if they find out you're selling anything like a BP gun...

LD

What if it is reversed and they don't tell Pay Pal to release the funds.

These two threads are deja-they-got-me-too situations. Back in the late 1970's, when I was a young, poor teacher, I saved my money to purchase a custom made left handed Hawken. A fellow in Florida advertised in one of our popular muzzleloading magazines and after some written correspondence, (pre-emails and Internet) we agreed on a price for the specific parts and time frame. Partial payment was sent to begin the project. After a couple of months, I was contacted that the rifle was ready to ship and I needed to send the balance due. I sent it and no gun. I contacted him again and he sent a case key. Still nothing else and no response to my follow ups. I contacted the magazine about him and I was not the only one who had a bad experience. All they could do was pull his ads. Eventually there was a class action suit against him and he was convicted. However, no funds were ever reimbursed to me. This was in the late '70's!

After working a summer job, I saved enough money to buy a Sharon kit and a local gun shop ordered it for me. At least I still have and use that rifle.

Don't normally do much with folks/places that won't take a credit card.
Only done two from this forum - both excellent fellows. Used to sell quite a bit on eBay, only had one bad experience in 70+ sales. When I see the same exact item/photo listed several times ...uh, nope. Rather pay full retail from a known "store" than a bargain that never arrives.

Even what appears to be a "store" can be dicey. One place upped my order to two of the exact same item. Phone call did no good. Shipping the extra back cost 1/2 of what the item cost and a 10% "restocking" fee ...Customer service had a problem with the English language. Oh well ...live and learn.

My checking account costs me $2 per month. I do 99% of payments on line via the bank's web site. Payments to larger outfits usually go by EFT. The bank prepares and mails a paper check to smaller payees. I can see and even print a photo of the cancelled paper checks on line. There are fees for other services, such as stopping payment or over night mailing. Since I have yet to need them I don't know how much they are.
The checks I purchased years ago cost me, but Lord only knows how much. Guess I'll find out if I run out.
If someone cashes my check and says they did not receive the money the bank intervenes very assertively. And the cancelled check is proof of payment if courts or law enforcement need to be invoked.
Stopping a check can cost $30 last time i looked. WHat exactly happens when someone cashs your check and either never send item or its no good? Are you on your own?

Stopping a check can cost $30 last time i looked. WHat exactly happens when someone cashs your check and either never send item or its no good? Are you on your own?
Yep. Same as you would be if you had used a money order or cash. But with an easily available cancelled check you've got something to show local law enforcement. They are not going to act over pocket change sent for a gewgaw but hundreds of dollars for a rifle should elicit their response. And the scammer has absolutely no way of proving he sent you what you paid for.

The first line of defense must always be your caution in approaching the purchase. Next always use a credit card if possible.

Yep. Same as you would be if you had used a money order or cash. But with an easily available cancelled check you've got something to show local law enforcement. They are not going to act over pocket change sent for a gewgaw but hundreds of dollars for a rifle should elicit their response. And the scammer has absolutely no way of proving he sent you what you paid for.

The first line of defense must always be your caution in approaching the purchase. Next always use a credit card if possible.

Not many folks on this forum or others are equipped to take a credit card. That's what we are discussing. Buying from forum BST ads.
I've not been burned yet, thank the Lord. A few scary moments, but all worked out in the end. Many good folk on this forum don't want to risk getting a bum check, and prefer USPS MO and say so in their ads. Maybe if more of us were open to taking and sending personal checks it might be better for all involved? Writing a bum check is against the law. Cashing a check for goods sent that weren't, is also against the law. Both involve mail fraud.

Not many folks on this forum or others are equipped to take a credit card. That's what we are discussing. Buying from forum BST ads.
I've not been burned yet, thank the Lord. A few scary moments, but all worked out in the end. Many good folk on this forum don't want to risk getting a bum check, and prefer USPS MO and say so in their ads. Maybe if more of us were open to taking and sending personal checks it might be better for all involved? Writing a bum check is against the law. Cashing a check for goods sent that weren't, is also against the law. Both involve mail fraud.
I've told the people I bought from not to ship til my check clears. I'd sooner they have the money and be content to ship the firearm, knife or whatever.

If they wont take a personal check from me then I just dont buy from them. I have had 2 USPS MO lost in the mail. They make you wait 60 days to file a claim and then you gotta pay to file it. Thats just total garbage in my book. Why should I pay to get my money back. They lost it not me. Not to mention packages that have been lost by them. I refuse to do business anymore with the USPS they suck.

I've told the people I bought from not to ship til my check clears. I'd sooner they have the money and be content to ship the firearm, knife or whatever.
Maybe the forum mods need to amend the rules...

OK so we know that the suspect used Curtis Fawvor's name and an address in Texas.
We know that the person who answered the phone answered to that name, but we don't know that person's actual name...
We know that presumably a female human is a that same address, with the same last name...
That's all that we know...,
We do not know if he is the actual scammer,
We do not know what Fawvor looks like...,
We do not even know if the mail sent to that address containing the funds scammed from the victims actually arrived there...,
We do not know where the funds were deposited....

So lets Rein In the vitriol being expressed over Mr. Fawvor for now, and let some law enforcement get done first. Texas is not the only jurisdiction looking into the scammer..., OK Folks ?

I think expression can be good for venting frustrations, but let's all stay legal and lawful, OK ???

LD

Thank you Mrfeeney. I just got back from the post office and they supplied me with the name and phone number of a federal postal inspecter. I will post what I learn Monday after talking to her.

I am contacting a child hood friend that worked for the IRS for 40 years. I am asking him who do I call about potential unreported income.

Again Thank you

Rob

Mods don't make rules
Mods don't change rules
... at least on this forum...

LD
Ok, understood. So whoever does make or amend the rules, perhaps you could forward the url for this thread to them so they might consider amending the rules?
I can honestly tell you, sending a USPS MO or cashier's check to someone I don't know always makes me exceedingly nervous until I receive product in hand. At least with a check you can cancel it, and get your bank involved if you are defrauded. The forum rules set the standards, not the buyer OR seller. If you think about it, the seller holds all the cards. Nobody will ship without first receiving payment; if they choose not to ship or are pulling a scam, they have both the money AND the product. So situations like that actually set the scene in a scammer's favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back