• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saw this hanging in a Cracker Barrel restaurant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is not doing the gun any good having the hammer on full cock / full compressed all for a very long time, it will take a set, and being over compressed it will / may snap & and not n a good way!

One thing that seems different than most rifles I’ve seen (which isn’t very many) is the elongated trigger guard with the Hawken style scroll on it. There is a stamp or makers mark on the lock plate that I can’t make out, but it appears to be in an oval shape.
Looks unusual without escutcheons.

CB,
Thanks for sharing that rifle. It is really a wonderment how the company overlooked that little historical jewel.
The wonder is that they used it at all.
Bet it would never have made the wall up here in the Northeast/midAtlantic.
Some brain dead TV news watcher would have dumpstered it during construction.

One would think the restaurant manager would find it worthwhile to have the rifle examined by someone who knows what he's looking at, and maybe put a little informational card or placard with the rifle, for customers to read.

Chain store employees, even managers, are peons w/o the nerve or authority to even raise the question with the corporate offices.

The middle 19th century guns are like the 1970s to me. Seems like everyone had a lot of fun, but I don't enjoy the decor and fashion personally. The shift to English style half-stocks right around the Civil War was a sad demise for the longrifle. Like the difference between a 1962 5th Avenue suit, and a leisure suit from 15 years later.

But I must admit that one of the sexiest guns I've ever seen was a Spencer with octagon barrel and ramrod, as well as pewter foretip.

But that is amazing that Cracker Barrel still has original guns in it's stores. I remember trying to study one myself when I was 12 years old in the Savannah Cracker Barrel. It took a lot of age and cynicism for me to reach the point of being a dink about an original rifle like that.

Latest posts

Back