• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help ID This Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I have come into ownership of this old blunderbuss and would like to try restore it to a decent state. It has clearly not been stored well, and there is a something wrong with the trigger mechanism so I will need to open it and look at that. I think there is also a tension spring broken underneath the flash pan. Clearly has been used in a previous life as the inside is encrusted with spent powder.

Firstly, I would like to try identify it as there are no manufacturer signature or stamps that I can discern? Maybe the style helps narrow it down? The length is 77cm, and the inner bore width at the flared end is 33mm.

There are some nice engravings, and what looks like a cracker attempt to put an initial on the barrel at a later date. It is of a different level than the manufactured engraving.

Any thoughts on where it is from or the timeframe? Or how best to go about cleaning it up for display? I presume the barrel is brass?

Many thanks,

David

Any good links on how to begin restoring would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4520.JPG
    IMG_4520.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4521.JPG
    IMG_4521.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4523.JPG
    IMG_4523.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4524.JPG
    IMG_4524.JPG
    433.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Some more images.

Attachments

• IMG_4526.JPG
    IMG_4526.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4531.JPG
    IMG_4531.JPG
    881.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4528.JPG
    IMG_4528.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4529.JPG
    IMG_4529.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hi Shooty

Based on these photos, I believe this to be a tourist gun (for display only !) from about the 1950's or 60's. Back then, these tourist guns were made better, and more authentic looking (to the untrained eye) than similar items from about the 1970's and later. The frizzen spring is broke, and the lock internals may need some work. Possibly from misuse from youngsters in the past. (Wish I had this to play with as a kid).
Minor repairs and a good cleaning would likely be the only restoration desired. Again, these guns were made for display - not shooting.

Rick

Hi guys. Thank you for clarifying. I thought it might have been older rather than a display model as it is quite sturdy contruction and there is a hole from the frisson pan into the barrel. Clearly, someone has fired it as there are plenty of scarpes and residue on the inside. Kids were much more adventurous back then :cool:

DON’T shoot it!! I had a Belgian brass blunderbuss, nice sparking lock. Went to pull the breech plug- hardly any threads in the breech! With a heavy load I would have been injured or killed.

DON’T shoot it!! I had a Belgian brass blunderbuss, nice sparking lock. Went to pull the breech plug- hardly any threads in the breech! With a heavy load I would have been injured or killed.
Hi Sam. No intention to do that! Tge trigger lock is not working in any case. It is disappointing it is a display type, but will settle for giving it a polish as best outcome.

You still have a neat decorative piece. And if you want to sell it, enough pirates are out there that will buy it for costume use.

Latest posts

Back