• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

S. Forker rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputy599

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a percussion cap rifle with S. Forker stamped on barrel that belonged to my GGG grandfather that lived outside of Meadville, Pa. Any ideas on the rifle? It appears to functions, who is gunsmith to clean it and give it once over.
Robert

Two of my gunsmith reference books mention a man named Forker.

One says, "Forker, William 1859-1875. Shop located at Meadville, Pennsylvania. General gunsmith.

The other book says, "FORKER, William-- Meadville, Pa., late percussion period."

Although his first name doesn't begin with a S, the gun may have been built by his father or son or perhaps his middle name began with S?

The years mentioned refer to the dates he was known to be actually working at his trade.

I did a google search and found a small notation of a "S. Forrker" who built rifles in that area and it also mentioned he was the father of William Forker (one "r")who primarily built percussion rifles.

I saw a Forrker rifle floating around Kittanning awhile back. Can you post a picture?

I have a Samuel Forker, born in Brownsville, PA November25, 1798. Moved to Meadville, PA in 1823, mentioned in the Daily Pittsburgh Gazette, March 9, 1837. He is credited with inventing a firearm where "four loads can be discharged in rapid succession from a single piece". He was the son of Adam Forker, a blacksmith from New Jersey. Samuel had a brother, John who was also a gunsmith who settled in Mercer Co., PA in 1816. He had a son named Joseph who was a gunsmith for a limited number of years. Samuel had a son named William H., born in 1828 who was also a gunsmith. He was still living in Meadville in 1899. Samuel died in 1860. So you can figure your rifle was made before 1860.

That was a company located in Pittsburgh, PA who manufactured gun barrels as well as tools between 1852 and 1873. Looks like Forker bought his barrels as did most gun makers of the period.

Back