• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help ID Half Stock Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Need help identifying this half stock percussion .32 caliber rifle. Don't know any history of this rifle other than my grandfather bought this in the 1960's from a man who had this in his attic. Lock is marked N. Ashmore.
P1032312.JPG
P1032313.JPG
P1032314.JPG
P1032316.JPG
P1032318.JPG
P1032320.JPG
P1032321.JPG
P1032310.JPG
P1032312.JPG

Ashmore is the maker of the lock like Goodyear on a tire. Look carefully at the top of the barrel between the breech and the rear sight for a name. It maybe faint but don’t rub on the barrel with any thing other than your finger, steel wool would reduce the value of this fine rifle.

In central Pennsylvania. Ashmore is the lock manufacture just wondering if any gunmaker used ashmore locks with the unique wood inlay on the patchbox. My grandfather owned a gun store from the 40's thru the 1969 when my father took it over. Dad told me he paid $50 for the gun.

That wear plate under the forend makes me wonder if the drill for the ramrod got off track. Wouldn't be the first time something like that got covered up with an ornate plate.

Beautiful gun though, builder had skill. You might also try American Longrifle Forum for info on the gun. There seem to be members there who watched the Wright brothers fly their first plane and they remember all the details.

Last edited:
probably made in Pennsylvania 1850-1880 or so. Very nice condition. Likely replaced with a cartridge gun early on and put away with little use. I like these slim half stocks as much as the earlier flintlocks. There were hundreds of one or two man shops making rifles during this period. They had access to factory made gun parts and basically stocked up the parts like we do today. I’ll bet there is a makers mark somewhere on the rifle.

Back