• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty cup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequoia

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I pulled out my rendezvous gear and one of my tin cups had rust in it. What is the best way to keep them from rusting in between uses?

wipe 'em down with some cooking oil when you put them away after an event.

If all you use it for is cold stuff, melt a chunk of bees wax on the inside... it will keep the liquid from touching the tin...I did this to a small tin corn boiler that I use for a cup

Ranger

Oiling them is a great idea after the use but I can offer another idea. You can season them much like you would a Chineese wok. Coat the inside with peanut oil and expose it to heat from a fire, stove etc. Peanut oil doesn't burn as easily as other vegetable types and can withstand higher temperatures. Once it starts to smoke pull it off and let it cool down a bit then repeat. You can add in a small amount of rock salt and use a paper towel or cloth swiriling it around wich aids in the seasoning process. Be careful not to get burned though. After awhile it will take on a dark seasoning that resists rust and makes it similar to the coating on a cast iron skillet. Be careful when you wash them though after this because if you use an abrasive scrubber it will remove the seasoning on it and you will have to start back from square one. Because you are using peanut oil you won't have to worry about ingesting harmful chemicals from other oils. Every now and then heat it back up with more peanut oil and the seasoning won't go away and should be rust free.

Why you wored bout a little rust???? You think your the first??? scrape it out an keep on keepin on. Coffe is jest as good. Probly mor PC. Ever think bout that? Done wont no shiny stuff in my kamp. Someone could see the glint offon it. Good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sounds like you got one of the inexpensive cups manufactured by the thousands (we ALL have them). The tin coating on them is extremely thin and nothing (short of NOT using them) will keep them from rusting eventually. If you want to avoid the rust, buy a heavy, hot-dipped item.

I found the best way is to just not have one! :grin:

I've found nickle lined brass mugs at thrift stores that fit the bill,
A funny thing called a Noggin is PC/HC and works just fine, basically a small wood bowl with a handle of sorts. http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/product_info.php/products_id/3338

Plenty of folks use ceramic, but usually have to have a couple each year as they break real easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back