• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust on breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve cullen

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I finished my first ever build and I'm currently shopping for all the accessories and equipment that I'll need, however I looked down the barrel yesterday and saw rust at the very bottom on the breech plug!

What is the best way to get rid of it? I was gunna buy a cleaning jag and try putting steel wool down the tube but I'm not sure if that will do the trick or not.

Mike is right, no other way to do it properly.

We had 2 months of rain, I only had one very weak dehydrator rod in my gun safe, when I checked my B/P guns I found some surface rust in the bores.

My fowler breech plug looked like this.

fowler rusty breech.jpg

I pulled the plug and cleaned it up. A Teslong bore scope will make a piece of glass look pitted. The oil on the plug looks like blacked on crud.

fowler clean breech.jpg

Last edited:
Mike is right, no other way to do it properly.

We had 2 months of rain, I only had one very weak dehydrator rod in my gun safe, when I checked my B/P guns I found some surface rust in the bores.

My fowler breech plug looked like this.

View attachment 242238

I pulled the plug and cleaned it up. A Teslong bore scope will make a piece of glass look pitted. The oil on the plug looks like backed on crud.

View attachment 242239
Looks kind of similar to what I saw in mine, I've never even shot mine tho... I blued the barrel then noticed it, could it be related to that?

Degrease the bore and TH with brake parts cleaner, plug the TH, then pour two tablespoons of Evaporust down the muzzle. Let stand overnight. Pour out, rinse with water, dry and oil per normal procedure. Buffing it off doesn't kill the active rust down in the pits. Evaporust does, if you expose it by getting all the oil out first.

Degrease the bore and TH with brake parts cleaner, plug the TH, then pour two tablespoons of Evaporust down the muzzle. Let stand overnight. Pour out, rinse with water, dry and oil per normal procedure. Buffing it off doesn't kill the active rust down in the pits. Evaporust does, if you expose it by getting all the oil out first.
Thank you. I'll try this as soon as I get home!

pour two tablespoons of Evaporust down the muzzle. Let stand overnight. Pour out, rinse with water, dry and oil per normal procedure.
Thank you. I'll try this as soon as I get home!
EvapoRust is a good product, just don’t allow any to get on blued surfaces. It will wash the bluing away.

Pulling the breech plug is very easy IF..... you have a good vice with padded jaws, a large crescent wrench and possibly a piece of pipe to add to the wrench for a cheater. Forget it if you have a CVA rifle, their breech plugs are not made for a layman to pull.

What did you build? On simple kits like a Traditions, pulling the breech plug is not part of the process. Any other kit except for possibly a Kibler Woods Runner pulling the breech plug multiple times is part of the building process.

If you put a mirror polish on the breech plug before installing it, the chance of it ever rusting is much smaller.

Latest posts

Back